Friday 20 March 2020

Gramma Camp – Day 4 Thursday

We are sheltering in place. I am amazed at the people not taking this virus seriously. Some checked the numbers of cases in the places they were going, seeing low numbers, ignoring advice to stay, not anticipating the spread of this virus. Some cruise ships are still on the go.
Someone wrote:
I know people who left on MONDAY to go to the Dominican! I don’t get it. People who winter in Florida who are 70+ who STILL aren’t coming home. It’s ridiculous!
The flight traffic is amazing, despite warnings and border closures.


All is quiet. Isabelle has been amazing keeping the fire going. They are cozy and enjoying the basement.

9:15 a.m.

No sign below decks. I went to put a load of laundry in, and Isabelle apologized that she slept through the night and couldn't keep the fire going. "There are embers," she assured me.
She's been listening to an audio book. They must read a couple of hours a day!

It could be nicer out, but we were happy to see the sun.


10:30 a.m.

Josie emerged from the basement for breakfast. Izzy had finished up the blueberry pie. Too bad, as it's taken us forever to get her to loosen up about those rules!

Isabelle and I went into the forest to gather materials for a craft. Later, Josee put the new batteries into the trailcam for me.

I showed Izzy where the turkeys have been scratching for bugs. She began collecting moss for her project.



I found a smoke puffer. Then we saw some fungus.



I'm surprised the dead elm tree hasn't lost this branch in the high winds. It's not long...



This is the meadow, with snow and ice. Izzy was gathering materials.



Jophee lost her last baby tooth! She's been having fun with cats.

Poor Grampa is using his new Dr. Ho's thingie. It seems to be helping.

Materials gathered, Isabelle washed her rock for her craft.



2:30 p.m.

Both are up a tree. You'll have to trust me on this.



Our afternoon movie was Jumanji! Hooray for Shaw for putting it on PPV.



We paused halfway, as we realized that it was going to rain later and we were out of wood inside the house. Isabelle told Josephine to stay indoors, that she would help me!



Dinner was pizza. I ordered it online, Grampa picked it up for us. Bless his heart!



During dinner, Isabelle re-enacted a story. She is droll, like her great-great grandfather and Grampa.



Back in the day, my mom and dad had us over for dinner. Dad's brain tumour wasn't going well. Mom's cancer had returned. Dad stopped, and suddenly leaned over. He lay there, with his head on the table. My mom got really upset ad called his name several times. Finally, his eyes opened, and he had that twinkle in his eye, and he said, "I was looking for my bean!" (It had fallen off the table onto the floor.)

Lots of outdoor play.

STC_0002 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


trailcam March 17 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Some people just don't get it.

I have a Dr Ho thingie which I use on occasion. It seems to help.

Olga said...

Lucky girls to be having so much memory-making time with grandma1

Karen said...

Great fun at Grandma camp. My grandson was out with a pal a few weeks back. He was telling buddy about all the fun things they used to do out here with Grandma and Grandpa. My grandson can hardly wait for his wee boy (My GREAT grandson!) to be big enough to come to the country and run and fields and woods as Daddy did.

Tom said...

...I just returned from Maui, I heard that flights are being terminated. Perhaps your friends will enjoy living in the Dominican! Stay well.

RedPat said...

It sounds like you are really having a lot of fun! I'm staying in as much as possible. Not even going for the paper today!

Linda said...

Interested to hear how the For Ho works

Nancy J said...

Only NZ citizens and permanent residents can enter NZ now, tourists are being checked and if any have not self isolated with the 14 day self isolation brought in recently, are placed in quarantine for 14 days then have to leave. We have ample food, Hugh wants to go out for a drive to somewhere so isolated!!! Maybe I could zend him up to camp in the usual place we have been over the years, VERY isolated. But he isn't well enough to go alone now, and someone needs to be here. Love the girls together, they are growing so tall, lucky to be able to come and stay and have that special time with you both.XXXXX

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Well done JB for getting the TENS machine; they really do help, both in the short term immediate relief and, with consistent use, a reversal of symx. I recently had a return of frozen shoulder and the TENS has taken it down to minimal inconvenience.

I loved the Rock's Jumanji (better than the original) and have got the sequel lined up for viewing now that am back in the Hutch (albeit for only three nights...) YAM xx

Kay said...

Looks like grandma is doing a great job to keep the kids occupied.

There's a ton of tourists crowding our beaches despite the warnings.