Sunday 3 February 2019

I resurrected a bagel

I did! I saw this on a cooking show. Last week, premourning Daisy leaving us, I toasted a bagel. I didn't have the appetite to eat the whole thing. Hubby put it in a baggie in the fridge.  About to throw it out, I thought I'd try the hack.

I took the hard bagel and rinsed it briefly under the tap. I popped it into the toaster. It came out soft. I popped it down again, it came up like a perfect, new toasted fresh bagel.

You can do this with a stale baguette, get it wet under the tap, then you bake it, warming it up in the oven. You have to use it right away, though.

stale bagel hack from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Now, it is difficult seeing photos of my girl. I have been deliberate in facing them. Rehoming her has been difficult. I think I see her on her spot on top of the fish tank. We both see a little white cat ghost in our peripheral vision. We recognize the moment, take the emotions, and let tears wash away the grief.

This video (below) popped up in a search for something else. It's part of my grieving process, I have realized. I was listening to a CBC Ottawa interview of a comedian. He said something profound. He said that during his stand-up routines he deals with some deep, emotional issues with comedy (coming out as gay, etc.). He can choose the time to deal with his emotions, many around societal current affairs, and let it go when he isn't on stage.

I had such hopes only a year ago.
Hooper & Daisy from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.  A year ago.

The other two cats hang out with JB, while he's on his computer. Hooper is slowly relaxing. He seems to know she is gone, and at night they both sit on my lap while we are watching a DVD. A cheery video (not), about Neil Armstrong. We're hitting the bottom of the barrel for videos we both like.

Another pop-up. Happy memories. It is so different rehoming a cat, rather than losing them over the rainbow bridge. She had a good life with us for 6 years. She loved the dock. Her pond froze overnight. 
Daisy goes skating from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


☏ In the meantime, we took a drive into town. I think this is where the cable is cut and something has to dry. They say Monday, but we are about to get rid of our landline. 📱
I did a search for this, 'wet pair paper cable in manhole' and came up with a photo.
Bell Canada – Lets Talk


☔We were into the deep freeze, again, with freezing rain on the way today and rain tomorrow. There is a 30cm base of snow. We didn't shovel the 7 cm snow yesterday, anticipating freezing rain. We shall see what happens today!

It's winter, it's been awfully cold. We dress for it. We did this three years ago!
Steamy water from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

13 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
'active grieving' is just fine... we are getting the tale-end of some the weather that hit North America; that's fine. It is winter after all. I saw "First Man" recently. It was okay, but perhaps about 20 minutes too long! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

I think you're all happier now, cats, you, and probably Daisy too.

Gaelyn said...

Nice to know Daisy has a good home now. Enjoy those memories. And stay warm.

Karen said...

You are so lucky to have an alternative to a landline. Where I live, our ONLY option (no option in other words) is a Bell land line. We live between two big hills which block the signal from the towers, grrr. Doesn't stop the different companies from calling us on our landline, trying to convince us THEY CAN give us service. Meanwhile, two cell phones languish in a box somewhere.

Christine said...

Of course you have to grieve Daisy properly. Thanks for the bagel hack.

DUTA said...

Everything's going to be just fine: the phone, Daisy, your sadness about Daisy's rehoming. The main thing now is to keep warm and cozy and wait for the weather to improve.

William Kendall said...

Hopefully Daisy is feeling more peaceful now.

Lowcarb team member said...

It can't be easy - but it's nice to know that Daisy has a good home.
Plenty of memories for you to enjoy as you adjust.

Keep warm and safe.

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I cannot imagine living in cold like that! You are brave hardy and undoubtedly healthier than we weather wimps....it does look so very beautiful though! .... that is profound (and needed) advice from an unexpected source (a standup comedian for goodness sake).

Nancy J said...

Daisy's photo and the words " A Final Tail" say so much.You will mourn, grieve and go through all those stages, but I know from our past experiences, that in time you will be able to watch her in a video,see a photo, and know she had the best you could give. Her new home will be a happy one, be assured of the love there.

KB said...

Thanks for the bagel tip, I love bagels

Nancy Chan said...

The grieving and the missing part though not easy but will pass. Do keep warm and stay safe.

Crafty Green Poet said...

that's a great tip about the bagels. Lovely video of Daisy, you'll miss her but I'm sure you made the right choice for both of you