Friday 6 July 2018

Monarchs and milkweed


What is better than the sighting of one Monarch butterfly? Seeing three at once. I always wonder if we have one, repeatedly, or several over the day.

There have been disasters over the years regarding the Monarchs. A 'mild' drought (Cats, & Monarchs, 2016), a fire in their overwintering Mexican habitat, this was prefaced by a low in 2012 (major 2012 drought: Monarch butterfly sightings!). "Experts" had dire warnings, but they are rebounding. I knew they would. Populations of all critters ebb and flow, according to environmental conditions. The tent caterpillars are a prime example!

One butterfly fooled me last month... but I was hopeful.
a viceroy

Now, you'll have to trust me on this. There are three in the first photo. I am simply not fast enough, although the second one focused beautifully on the two dancing together in the wind!


The milkweed is AMAZING! The smell is so glorious. A lot of bugs use milkweed for food and shelter, BTW. Monarchs use it exclusively as a place to lay their eggs and their caterpillars feed on the plant. This is why we need them in the ditches between here and Mexico.They lay eggs, migrate some more, and go north.


I'm so glad I didn't mow down the blueweed! It looks a bit odd. You can see how we have a drought. Little rain in June (JUN), and July doesn't look hopeful.
 

Then, in the front yard...


Lest I forget: The momma dock spider has put in her time. RIP!


The babies have spread out over the plant.


My veggie garden is pretty wretched. I forgot about it. The monarch likes the milkweed in their, though. My back yard is a bit whacky, as I let the milkweed sprout where they like!
Monarch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
Monarch 1 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Monarch lifecycle, U. of Minnesota

10 comments:

Olga said...

Beautiful butterflies. Thank you for sharing these photos and vimeo.

Karen said...

We let the milkwood grow where it may. I've even been known to put tomato cages around it so it doesn't "accidentally" get mowed down. I'm seeing lots of Monarch's this year! happy happy happy!!!!!!! The other day I saw two women with their heads against a building at the side of a parking lot. It was a very elderly person and a younger person. I kind of went close not knowing if they had a problem or what. They were smelling a clump of milkweed growing through a crevice in the paving! They asked me what this beautiful flower was.
Aren't you glad that heat wave has broken?

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Beautiflies!!! YAM xx (just back in the Hutch and exhausted...)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Monarchs are just so beautiful. When I hike the trails during certain parts of the year they are all over the place and they fly on ahead of me. Hard to photograph though, for me anyway.

DUTA said...

Your photo of the butterfly has reminded me of my visit , years ago, to the Valley of the Buttrflies, outside the city of Rhodes on the greek Rhodos island. Such a beautiful sight! It goes with you for years..

William Kendall said...

The drought seems to be in force. I'm just glad that heatwave is gone, for however long that lasts.

DeniseinVA said...

You always have such a fun series of nature photos and videos. Thanks so much Jenn. Have a great weekend :)

Red said...

I worried about the monarchs as there are many other species that don't make it back. The caribou is a prime example.

Anvilcloud said...

I'm glad they are rebounding.

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful butterflies.

All the best Jan