Friday 29 June 2018

Hooper walkies and Bucky

One never knows who will turn up on the trailcam! My morning ritual is to go down to fetch the SD Card. It is amazing to think that this particular path, which narrows between the wetland and the frog pond, is where critters have crossed for ever. I wear a pashmina, and flick at the bugs. It's not too hot, and protects me. They are merciless.



As I approached the frog pond, I could hear the pileated wood pecker. Eventually I saw him.

Pileated Woodpecker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

 My videocamera used to be fantastic. The colour is not great in my photos, in the shadows. I shall have to take my regular camera with me on walkies. The frog pond is growing over with cattails. Hopefully, another muskrat family will come and get rid of them for me. [Guess who had six babies! 2016]


There were LOTS of birds! I think this was a yellowthroat. It's a pretty bird, anyway.
Common yellowthroat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

In the meantime, I am glad I wore my big boots. There is lots of poison ivy and poison oak in the forest.


My traveling companion...

Can you see him in the trees?!


The bear has been busy, searching for bugs under the tree bark. S/he has ripped up the bark from the bottom. He has appeared June 2nd, 5th, 7th and the 21st. Happily there is lots of food for him.


We followed the wetland shoreline, as the bears do! I often se their tracks along the muck on the shore.


Hooper climbed a tree!
Hooper walkies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

As he came down from the tree, he obviously heard something in the forest. I didn't panic... Usually it is a doe, a deer, a female deer. This time it was a buck.

Bucky & Hooper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We carried on. It was a good run.


He paused on the hill, on the way back up to the house. Happy boy.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Lovely to see what is in the woods these mornings. I sit on my back porch with my tea and hear the things but would never see anything with this loopy dog along. My kitties don't go outdoors.
Thanks for sharing!

William Kendall said...

Hooper makes for very good company.

DUTA said...

Lovely pashmina! The bugs are indeed merciless, and not only in the forest but also near house trees and shrubs. It's sensible of you to take precautions and wear big boots.

RedPat said...

I love your companion! He must enjoy the walks!

Red said...

For those who are aware of things there's lots to see like the bear tracks in the mud. I live on a corner lot and can usually tell if something's been going across my yard.

Christine said...

I might miss that poison ivy

Anvilcloud said...

Braving the early summer insects deserves a medal. :)

NatureFootstep said...

you have such an interesting wildlife around you :)