Monday 27 November 2017

Trip to the Dominican Republic 2: Saturday

As previously reported, (Trip to the Dominican Republic 1: Getting there) I went on a vacation with my daughter and grandies. It was quite an adventure.

It was an all-inclusive trip, which we planned while my son-in-law was on a cruise to ANTARCTICA! Caitlin voted for a warm beach. (We've been enjoying JL's photos!)

Our trip there was a marathon with the littles, but they are excellent travelers. They like to use the self-serve check-in! Bearing  in mind that this was for a 6:00 a.m. flight on Friday, Nov. 17th!

They were so chipper...


Saturday

 1. I woke at 6:45 for no apparent reason. Showered, dressed, then I searched and couldn't find the passcode key number for the Internet (free Wifi). Walked around the compound and saw a few birds. I took a few photos! Back to the room, Caitlin had the password key, and I went back to the lobby. The kids got organized. I had a cappuccino and got online.

The place was meticulous. I'm sure they employ more staff than guests. It was rainy, again, but warm, and at home it was ice rain.

 

2. Finally, we were ready to go for breakfast. The girls love to take the carts to and from our room. First day Caitlin had to choose between Orlando and another driver. They were fun. She chose Orlando. Next day we had another Orlando, thing was he didn't go by his real name as they might be confused. Josee loves taking photos as much as her Gramma.



3. We rotated through swimming at the main pool, or on the beach. In the afternoon, there was Bingo Bongo! Isabelle won a t-shirt.
Breakfast then swimming in the pool, and then the ocean, then lunch. Back to the ocean, pouring rain! We went back to the pool, more swimming and the rain let up. Mummy took Isabelle to the kiddy pool, Josee and I hung out at the beach.

Caitlin being clever, remembers a lot of her high school Spanish. She was able to ask questions and talk to the staff. They usually spoke to us in Spanish first, then English, if we had to.

Gracias, por favor, cappuccino, we all used frequently. All day staff smiled and greeted us with Hola, but I tried buenas dias, buenas tardes, buenas noches señor,  or señorita. 

 


These two women were from Montreal, I brought them a towel to clean off their table. It was funny.


 
4. While it is buffet for all meals, you can book 4 times for a dinner at a sit-down restaurant in the resort compound. Caitlin did this the first day.

Spaghetti carbonara was more like spaghetti in gravy, but Josee ordered her meal in Spanish: espaguetis and papas fritas (french fries). One server, Jesus, goofed with the other server about not pouring mommy more vino!

Dinner at the Italian restaurant was hilarious as Jose (a server) tried to play the large pepper mill like a guitar, making the girls laugh. I was using hubby's small camera, and not all the photos were timely or great, but it was so much lighter than my camera.


  5. Bedtime is swift and orderly. We are all tired and konk out early! I miss news, the TV didn't work today, the only English Channel is CNN. (There were major storms.) Lots of teeny ants in the room, despite them doing a large spray in the pathways. Must remember to turn off the clock radio alarm, set for midnight, both nights... YAWN.

14 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Later this week, I shall be driving Shauna and the kids to the airport for an early morning flight. I wonder if it's worth bothering to sleep beforehand?

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Lovely that it wasn't crowded, almost like a private beach! YAM xx

Nancy J said...

From the heat to the ice, I wonder if we get to see any photos of Antarctica? Looks like the water was so enticing, and what a dream time away from Ontario's freezing temps.Love the story and all your pics.

Cloudia said...

So glad you got to enjoy a wonderful time, Jenn!

Christine said...

wonderful day!

Hootin Anni said...

Exceptional vacation album Jenn.

William Kendall said...

It sounds like fun! The cats are a surprise.

DUTA said...

I like the picture of the african hut and the one where your grandkid uses fork and knife ..very seriously.
I wish you would write captions, at least under some of the photos. It will add so much to those viewing them!

Red said...

Sounds like fun.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, looks like a great trip with the family. Beautiful beach resort.

Fun photos. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Lady Fi said...

What a lovely adventure!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

What a wonderful adventure!

Kay L. Davies said...

One of my favourite places to visit...and I think I told you they're famous for producing first-rate baseball players! Robinson Cano, David Ortiz, Adrian Beltre, Pedro Martinez, Albert Pujols, JOSE BAUTISTA (my main man, Jose), Jose Reyes, Sammy Sosa, Yordano Ventura, VLADIMIR GUERRERO of Expos fame...the list goes on...Bartolo Colon, Miguel Tejada, Manny Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano, one of baseball's grand old men: Felipe Alou, the list goes on and on and on...Carlos Santana, Edwin Encarnacion... I have to stop somewhere, so I'll stop with Edwin, but there are more, plenty more. Did I miss Francisco Liriano, or Rafael Soriano, or Tony Fernandez?

Kay L. Davies said...

My ecstatic list of baseball players from the DR didn't make it on here, Jenn. Too long for one comment, for sure.
Sure am glad you loved the DR, too. Beaches and baseball...what more can anyone want?
Hugs — K
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel