Friday 6 January 2017

Food: Cooking show segments

Do you watch them? I have been, because of hubby's diet restrictions: no yeast, dairy or eggs. He has food intolerances, rather than allergies, but it makes a world of difference for him to avoid these foods. Everyone confuses yeast allergies with gluten. It's quite common. It's tricky finding casseroles and such.

I was watching The Marilyn Dennis Show.


These two segments on her Dec. 26th show were interesting. They had some kids in the audience, as they had a horticulturist who helped them plant some veggies in their school gardens in a spring segment. It was a wonderful segment, with a multicultural school population. That's my Toronto! Planters, soil, plants and seeds were donated to the school, they helped them plant, and two of the students showed the produce they had grown at the beginning of this show. It is a great thing to do with kids, and as a retired teacher, I laud them.

You can see that my Ottawa students consisted of some wonderful, rainbow colours of kids. I learned a lot from all of them. This was 2004.


Back to the studio, where Jamie Oliver was teaching them two smart food recipes. As a retired teacher, I was giggling. The kids were a hoot. Quite enthusiastic, and I don't think they thought that part through!  He is an amazing teacher, quite committed to putting good foods in kids' mouths. The father of 5, he is quite personable. Sadly, even coming from the UK, he doesn't understand something basic. It always shocks me when this kind of thing happens. He's created some inexpensive, healthy, hearty meals.

I had three issues with the shows content.
1. The expensive food processing equipment.
2. The recipes included pork, with an obviously multi-ethnic audience.
3. The recipes showed adding alcohol, with kids in the audience.

1. The thing is, Jamie Oliver uses high-tech (read expensive) blenders and food processors and he would be wise to explain how to create these recipes using less kitschy gadgets.

One Dish Wonder: 

Jamie Oliver's Chicken And Chorizo Bake 

A lot of the students had eaten mussels, which surprised Jamie Oliver! Toronto is incredibly multicultural. I'm so proud of it. They are making good steps forward in being so.

Kid-Approved Mussels 

That Are So Easy They Could Make Themselves

So, we follow the recipes, they are lo-cal, balanced meals, with good food. Problem is, the chicken and chorizo dish. (Chorizo is Spanish, spiced pork sausage.) I had to look it up! If you look at the beautiful faces in the audience, you will note that it is a multi-ethnic group.

2. Muslims and Jews do not eat pork. They were keen, and eager, and that is important. Several of the girls were wearing hijabs, which is what some Muslim females wear.

3. Not only that, but he added alcohol to the dish. Seriously. With all these kids watching.

We've entertained vegetarians,
and they don't even mix the cutting boards.
Too often, people don't know their audience. There are many easy ways to convert recipes. Believe me, I know. I've been converting recipes from dairy to non-dairy. I showed hubby how to make bread without yeast. He's baking up a storm, without tummy aches! One recipe even features chicken bullion. You can use veggie bullion. 

I did, successfully, adapt the recipe for hubby's dietary needs. It was a challenge.

8 comments:

Karen said...

I love cooking shows. ESPECIALLY Jamie Oliver (who we have a family connection to) and all the wonderful work he does to inspire young people.

DUTA said...

Your post reminds me of a woman I sometimes meet at the grocery store. I noticed that she puts canned sardines in her cart. Canned, processed items are not encouraged by nutritionists. As she was very thin, I thought maybe that's somehow "her secret".
Well, she told me she was feeling unwell, went to the doctor and he advised: no glutten, no dairy. So, she eats mostly veggies, eggs, fish and...sardines. I suppose the sardines are for the calcium, one (not she), usually gets by eating dairy products. Anyway, she feels ok, and looks ok too.

William Kendall said...

Admittedly I don't watch these shows, but you can pick up some useful ideas that way.

Cat Lover said...

Interesting post! It is surprising that the producers of the show didn't take into consideration the dietary restictions of the kids in the audience.
But it is wonderful that the kids were enthusiastic. I didn't realize Marilyn Denis still had a show. We don't watch T.V. we are really out of the loop as to what is on nowadays.

Silver in AZ said...

Our lunch break room has had the food network on 24/7 the entire 8 years we've been here. I'm 'over' food shows. LOL

Nancy J said...

And, Jenn, we all know how you can cope with any challenge, indoors or outside!!! I agree, use less fancy gadgets, less meat, and NO alcohol. What would be wrong with grape juice??

Red said...

These shows sneak many things by us. alcohol and kids? What's he thinking? As you know in multicultural groups there's some very fleet footed maneuvers around such boners.

Anvilcloud said...

When it comes to food shows, it seems you either do or don't without halfway measures. At least for many people whom I have observed. I'm an abstainer, myself.