Sunday 21 February 2016

Do you like my Fat Head?

Mr. Fat Head!

We traveled to Almonte  (snow pellets, dark skies!) for bird seed and I spent the family fortune (again) to buy a Fat Head, as they are called.

I love their store, Gilligalou.
cardinal from Gilligallou
Such good people.
We have bought quite a few products for the yard, as well as bird seed. I keep spotting the red cardinal, and having to remember it's store boughten! The bird bath heater is from them, as is the bird feeder beside Mr. Fat Head.


P.S. All cats were sleeping on this lovely, sunny day. No cats have killed any birds all winter, despite dire invented cats-as-killers statistics!

My Fat Head

It's a bit of work, but what the heck. I took an apple corer, and took some suet, shoved it into the five or so holes. It was work, but more play. The sun shone, the birds were excited. I put a few sunflower seeds on the outside, just to entice them.
The Chipping Sparrow gave it the eye, as did the blue jay.
Once fixed up, I hung it and soon spotted a nuthatch. By the evening, Bambi was back at the feeder, too!


Then, I went for a walk in the forest. You can see, on the right in the first photo below, the broken tree is still standing, still swaying in the winds. [Broken tree in our forest] The deer trails are deep. They walk slowly along the paths in the chest-deep snow. Two of them were kindly trimming the lilacs for me just out the back yard!


Down to the frog pond...Where is that dock?! Ah, found it...The posts were a giveaway.


Here are the '"BEFORE" photos from the summer!
Worked hard on it!
With feline helpers, of course.
Soon...

11 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Very nice Jenn, do you just call it a nature feeder? lol

Olga said...

I have a stained glass cardinal in my kitchen window, but I spot the real thing quite often as well. You treat your neighbors well and they reward you with frequent visits!

Judy said...

That looks like such a peaceful view that you have! It must be wonderful to see the birds and wildlife coming through.

troutbirder said...

What a neat post. We have four different species of woodpeckers at our backyard feeders this winter. I drilled suet holes in a small birch branch for them. It attracts them all plus the nuthatches and deer. Mr. Fat Head is a lot more interesting though....:)

Nancy J said...

This is so good to start me week, early Monday a.m. here. Your words always give me a smile, and the family fortune? why not, he is a grand addition to your garden. Love the red chair, is the cushion all snow? Pity the dock is so well covered, just as well there are your posts for markers.Have a great day.

Crafty Green Poet said...

The fat head is very impressive! Great photos, the deer are beautiful

William Kendall said...

That's a cute addition- I wonder what the deer think of the new ornament!

Out To Pasture said...

The 'fat head' feeder looks like it would be fun and easy to make. Might do a copy cat on it. The deer are so lovely. Thanks for all the sharing.

carol l mckenna said...

Adorable 'fat head' and lovely wintry shots ~ especially of those beautiful deer!

Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

eileeninmd said...

LOL, the fat head feeder is cute. I love the deer too. Great series of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy new week ahead!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
What a fabulous feeder!!! Crikey though, the snow does look pretty in the sunlight... YAM xx