Thursday 18 February 2016

Daisy and I played in the snow, after we worked!

What a mess in Ottawa yesterday. At first, a 4-day weekend, with a PD day for schools on Fri., Feb. 12th, then "Family Day" on the Monday. The snow fell overnight and Tuesday was another Snow Day (no school busses), meaning the schools are open, and teachers must make an effort to get into school. (Those were the days, my friend!)

I showed a photo of 60 people trying to get onto a bus that holds 40 (more or less!) and we found out why the rush. Both the Civil Service and DND let workers go home early. Thing is, it wasn't an overarching decision, but one made department by department. No one told OCTranspo to put on more busses, as per the rush hour schedules and it was a fight and a free-for-all! People who must catch a bus that only runs 4 times a day were out of luck, too.

One woman told her story of being on an articulated bus, which holds 70 people (sort of a  flat double-decker!) and despite this bus having the finest winter tires OCTranspo can buy, it got stuck on a hill. They wouldn't let anyone off for FOUR HOURS, for safety!

Us folks in the country? Hubby took off to dispatch Meals on Wheels. I did some more shoveling, fetched wood from the shed, and is my back ever sore! I fed the birds, as well. They are pretty hungry. The wood is beside the shed. Daisy was a BIG help, after she cleared the shed of mice friends, she came around the corner and climbed the rafters.




After blazing the trail for the sled with the wood, I had a wee sit down!


Then, off to the forest to see what was up. It was so pretty, and not so cold. Lots of trails in the snow, but only deer. Daisy and I followed that path. Daisy and I took advantage of the lovely day and went for a snowshoe in the forest.


You can see the house up the hill.
I fell just as I approached the driveway on my way back to the house. I could not get up. I had to take my snowshoes off and roll around in the snow. A good day had by all!

You could see where a doe had hunkered down in the snow to sleep. The Cedars of Lanark County were so pretty.

6 comments:

William Kendall said...

I had to be downtown that day- I walked there and back. On the way back I never saw a bus come down Bank Street. It was quite a storm.

You got a whole lot too!

Christine said...

I should try snowshoeing one day

Stephanie Faris said...

How fun! I don't get out in the snow so much anymore, but I LOVE looking at it!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh my word - we heard about it - 'coz of course we will get the 'whipend'; but not pretty and fun like that (though not fun for the commuters of course...), just all the wet stuff. Again. YAM xx

carol l mckenna said...

Oh so glad you and Daisy made it a fun day despite the snow problems ~ Lovely wintry photos ~

Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

Unknown said...

Beautiful winter scenery!