Saturday 14 November 2015

Frogs, cats, birds, fungus

I'm still surprised at the weather ups and downs. I let Buster out at 3:00 a.m., and it was snowing!

Firstly, the goldfish pond, regular readers will know, has been full of frogs moving across their territory looking for water in which to shelter for winter. I'm been religiously moving them from the pond to the large, natural frog pond, with Daisy's help. Sometimes the goldfish pond will be fine over the winter (if we don't have freezes and thaws), and the froggies stay frozen in the mud in the bottom.
Last year I lost both Geraldine the bullfrog and Jerry, which was dreadful, having to remove the smelly bodies. Thankfully, the frog pond is teeming with bullfrog tadpoles (they are tadpoles for two years).

Brilliance, I thought, I'll just scoop the froggies out, and pop them into the pond. Hello pseudo-Springtime: bugs, frogs and snakes!
Unfortunately, the weather continues to be far too mild for November. Nov. 8th I counted 13 frogs. I've removed 21+ frogs (I've lost count). We had 16.51mm (0.65") of rain,  I counted 21 in the pond on Friday's rainy day.


Buster

Buster has had worms, from eating mice, so hubby went to the vet and bought the deworming pills. They come in a neat packet, with a fridge magnet that has a reminder system for us. Between his daily fluoxetine (Buster tails; calming drug), then the deworming every 3 months, and being vigilant with ticks, there is a lot going on.
I've harvested 99 ticks this year, compared to 78 last year, right up until late November.


This little one, nuthatch, hit the window, I've had to remove the window danglies, which prevent or warn them from bashing into the window. This winds have been wild lately.
A bird at the feeder, I think female Purple finch, as I saw a male.
Dorah and Annie rest in the sun in a moment of world peace!


Fungus in the forest

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, you are seeing a lot of frogs there. I am loving the mild weather, I hope it sticks around. Beautiful kitty and pretty birds. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

Nancy J said...

Those frogs must be happy when the freeze arrives.Dorah and Annabelle, they could give lessons to any terrorist. Birds can knock themselves out if they fly too fast into a window, Many years ago, this happened, a long tailed cuckoo, it lay on the deck for about an hour. Then recovered and flew away to enjoy more days in the trees. Hugh needed a book of birds to ID it.

DeniseinVA said...

Poor little bird, I have had a few hit our window over the years. I have some hummingbird decals stuck on and it helps some but not entirely. Lovely pictures today.

A Colorful World said...

A cute post!

Red said...

Your frog population amazes me. We have very few frogs left here.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Good luck with all your frogs. And those fuzzy pets, too!
~

William Kendall said...

Daisy looks like a good helper!

Crafty Green Poet said...

we're having unseasonably mild weather too!

Poor little nuthatch