Saturday 24 October 2015

Daisy and I did wetland island walkies

I love this little island in the middle of the wetland. It's a neat little spot. Totally surrounded by bulrushes. The deer, coyotes, and our Eastern Coyote (coywolf) use it for rest, or a spot to eat their prey. It's also inhabited by a red squirrel or two.

I didn't discover the island until I snowshoed in it in the winter, when the land and water were quite frozen. A couple of years ago I built a bridge, a ladder-like structure that lets us get to the island. (See: Building a bridge in a bog with a frog!)

I leave a chair here, although Daisy doesn't like me to sit. She's on the move!
I spent an hour cleaning off the bridge Thursday. The foliage has fallen, and made the bridge rather wet and slippery. My shoulders are still sore, but it was good outdoor work!

Daisy loves the adventure!


There are a lot of trees, also some dead and fallen over. The fungus tree has lost its top, and the fungus look so beautiful! This tree sports a lovely piece of fungus, now some lovely colours.

Fungus, after a few years of growth!
Fungus Sept. 13, 2013


Daisy is jealous of the other cats, and prefers to walk with me alone. 

Daisy walkies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
Daisy and I went for walkies on the island in the middle of the wetland. It's a unique place, but one must be careful during hunting season. I've put the Trailcam here as I know it is a path for deer, coyotes, as well as sanctuary for squirrels. This is a 360˚ view of the island.

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Daisy enjoys her walks. She is pretty. The fungus shots are cool. Great outing and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

Unknown said...

Daisy seems to be in a hurry to explore her surroundings. The fungus is very pretty. Have a great weekend!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Good for you finding such a secluded spot. I have found spots in my more urban setting where critters bring their kill to eat. Talk about boneyards. They are generally underneath free overpasses.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Your own private island? 'Rich' beyond words! &*> YAM xx

Red said...

It's cool to have a piece of property that's yours and you can get to know every inch of it. I liked that about the farm when I was a kid.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You are the only one I know who owns their own little island! ( well, you and Daisy!). It's so lovely .... You work hat at it, but what a beautiful payback... Thanks for sharing it!

Powell River Books said...

Not sure I would want to walk around where a coywolf ate his prey. - Margy

William Kendall said...

Daisy clearly loves climbing trees too!