Friday, 30 January 2015

Heckuva time with electronics!

It's been a heckuva couple of weeks. Between electronics, appliances, car, and all.

1. The stove electronics locked the oven door shut last week. We replaced that.
2. Monday
 Hubby dropped the car off in Ottawa. The car is in the shop being straightened and repainted. We rented a car, which they delivered to the repair show. Only issue? The trunk is too low for hubby to pick up his Meals on Wheels out of without hurting his back. He can dispatch, but not deliver. Also, it has 4-season tires. Slippery on the end of the driveway.

3. Wednesday
Waiting room sillies
We had to go in to see the Urologist to check on hubby's cancer. The good news is that his PSA level has gone down slightly after going up in a steady upturn. It was 0.79 three months ago, and it was at 0.77 this month. With his prostate removed it should be 0. He's set for another PSA test in 3 months, as well as a colonoscopy. After this appointment at Ottawa Hospital, the plan was to pick up the finished car. Cannot do that. Their paint machine died and got the shop behind. We drove to our favourite restaurant, the Twisted Lizard, and it was closed. Forever! We went to another spot and drove home safely.

4. Wednesday night
The well pump wouldn't shut off. The tank in the house wasn't filling. We had to turn it off; I could hear it losing its prime. Not good. We phoned our company, and left a message.
Curtis phoned first thing 8:00 a.m., and promised he'd show up and help us out. "It won't be cheap," he said. "But, it's only money, and you can't take it with you!" I took photos to show the kids where our Line of Credit will be drawn on today!

I worked on Josie's dress
They spent Thursday uninstalling the rusty machine and reinstalling a new one. Curtis, the new franchisee, turned out to be a distant sort of a cousin. A younger generation, of course. He brought 2 guys and another truck with him by the afternoon. All of Perth didn't have a replacement pump. He drove to Kanata.
Hubby brought me home a Subway for lunch. Having spent a day without water, I was ready to get it back. Do you know how many times you go to the tap in a day? And then how many times I did it anyway, and suddenly remembered, there was no use!
There was a hole created by rust, in the intake in the bottom of the well. No wonder we lost prime. It was getting darker, the snow started to fall. They had to chop off the top of the fake well cover. It was so sad! You should have heard the cheer when the dang tank finally decided that they had primed it enough. We paid the bill, while his peeps packed up the two trucks!

5. Friday
It took me 45 minutes with the snowblower on the 100m driveway and we made it out of the driveway. The lousy tires on our little rental is terribly slippy in the snow and ice. We had about 10 cm (4") of snow last night. I knew we'd never get out of the driveway unless I cleared it. I began at 7:30, after only one coffee, and no breakfast, ran inside, got out of my sweaty clothes (no time for a shower) and into Carleton Place after a 45 minute drive.
Our naturopath, Dr. Jenn, was waiting for us. We were a half hour late. There were OPP with flashing lights and an ambulance, slipping on the fudgy snow in the intersection at highway #7 and Carleton Place. Pretty scary.
Towers of power
Dr. Jen has great nails!
The supplements seem to
be holding the PSA at bay.

Next, off to the physiotherapist to work on my Achilles tendon. Steve worked on my ankle, which is improving!
Then, brunch at Moxie's next door. The server didn't seem real keen on serving us. Slow, not so eager. We were disappointed, but the meal was good and hot. I think the cute young men at another table were claiming her attention!

On the way home I spotted a Snowy owl. Poor hubby turned the car around, despite the crummy snowy shoulder and back I went. It was freezing, with a bitter wind, but we did it!

Home, and I tackled the front step, ignored in the rush to get out the door. The overnight Trailcam did not reveal anything other than falling snow and morose-looking deer trudging across the wetland!
Dishes are done, and I should wash sheets. It's wonderful having water again.


Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Any one of those things would be a stresser; what a combination. You sound upbeat in spite of it all. I conclude that you are a better woman than I am! I'm glad the PSA seems to be going down -- good news.

William Kendall said...

Boy, if it's not one thing it's another.

eileeninmd said...

I am glad there was a happy ending, at least seeing the Snowy Owl would make my day..

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Let's hope things start to work like normal, best wishes.

Kay said...

Wow! Have you ever been busy! I didn't even know your oven door could lock. Such good news for your hubby! And the snowy owl was an upbeat ending to your week.

Red said...

Sometimes we get the weeks from hell. We had a couple last winter.

Powell River Books said...

You had quite a week. Glad you got your water back. - Margy

Nancy J said...

this has given me the best laugh in ages, why not write a book" Our adventures day by day!!" So glad the PSA had good results, pity the rental was not up to scratch, such good plumbing guys!! Keep on smiling, and hugs to you both.