Saturday 25 October 2014

Pond activity: muskrat architecture

Muskrat work
I finally got out of the house yesterday. I even got dressed! The cold virus, into my lungs, has meant much coughing and wheezing but the antibiotic is getting the pneumonia. I did a load of laundry, hung it outdoors. Then took a break. Problem is, any effort and you just can't suck enough oxygen in, then more coughing. Talking is tough, too. I remember trying to go into work like this, and loathing to take time off, ended up having to go home!

It was a beautiful, sunny day, with balmy temperatures of 16 C. and a t-shirt was all I needed. It felt so good. Daisy and took the zoom and walked down to the frog pond. We surprised a female wood duck, who took off around the back of the pond, behind the bulrushes. We sat, and watched for any other wildlife. I noticed this. What do you think, Red , my muskrat expert?
I'd notice their activity back in September. 
Muskrat Love in the frog pond
As I said, I haven't been down to the pond for a week. It's gotta be 3' high!

5 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

It's good that you like them, because they can be hard to get rid of. Here's a poignant passage about ponds.
~

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Get well soon! I remember well going to work sick, thought I was indispensable. Wasn't!

II love your muskrats.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hope you feel fully better soon.

William Kendall said...

It's never a good thing, feeling sick, particularly that... it just wipes out every bit of energy.

I'm sure Daisy enjoyed startling the duck.

Red said...

This will be a lodge where they live in the winter. Watch later when the ice forms for the push ups. Push ups are much smaller and base on the ice. They provide breathing holes as the muskrat swims under the ice. The material in the push up helps to prevent the breathing hole from freezing. Now I can see you going out in the winter and opening these things up to see if I'm right. If you do open them be very careful putting the material back so the air holes and lodges don't freeze out.