Thursday 31 October 2013

The process of cancer treatment; Part IV – Bone Scan

9:15 We set off from home at 9:15. A dreary day, with pouring rain.

10:15 We arrived at the hospital for the Bone Scan by 10:15. Unfortunately, P2 parking lot was full. We went into the 5-level P1 parking lot. It took for ever to find a spot on the top floor.
The parking spots were too small in many cases, as some people did not park totally parallel with the lines. I began to pull into one spot and decided I didn't want to gamble having my car door dented.

What a mistake! We should have left longer for the parking situation. It is terrible.

I grabbed the parking ticket and remembered to put it in our portfolio. Take Ticket With You!

The problem was that we didn't know the Civic, and there was a long walk down the hall, down another hall, into another wing, to find the Nuclear Department. There was much signage, and both times we stopped, looking lost, an employee gave us a clear direction.

A dreary day, best being inside!
10:35 a.m. We made it up to the waiting room, 5 minutes after out appointed time. Sigh. There were two patients there, and we settled in.

There was much signage, including ones reminding us to tell staff if we are pregnant or breastfeeding. Giggle.

What I liked about the plastic buckets is that they contained forms with information, which we have been devouring like starving people, as well as an evaluation form for our treatment today, by staff. I was heartwarmed by seeing "Our promise to you", which is basically a patient's bill of rights.
Excellent promises

Nope. Neither of us are pregnant!
 I think it works. We know that research shows us that lists make better Primary Care staff.

The radiologist forgot to introduce herself, she made up for it.

The staff were all fun, happy, caring people.

We waited a short time, and off into a private room for the inoculation of a small amount of radiation. A lot less than if one had a dental x-ray.
We were told to report back after two hours.

Off to lunch.
Back, to wait in another waiting room. They were bright, cheery and clean.
We bought a day pass at $13, since we had to go in and out of the parking lot. The machines might be daunting, what helps is to have someone looking over your shoulder, with people behind you waiting.

It is important
The evaluation form is important, I believe. We have to make people accountable for our tax dollars!

1:00 p.m. We'd gone off for lunch. Relaxed some. Then high-tailed it back. I realized that my parking chit had picked up some sticky bits from the dash board. I just wanted to get in and get it done. I took another chit, anticipating dealing with it later.

Back in the waiting room.

We joked and tried to relax.
Gotta change into hospital gear for the scan.

 Lab and Imaging Tests

They finally called us in. Here is the machine.

Three-Phase Bone Scan by Todd

Image Eval class at GateWay community college Sue Hoyle, instructor.

2:15 p.m. Finis
4:15 p.m. Home safe, embraced by happy cats. We'd bought pie for us and wine for me! Time to relax.

No comments: