Tuesday 2 October 2012

Yet another country critter: porcupine

You can see her colours are similar!
Yes, hubby took cats for walkies in the forest. He was calling, he thought, Sady, but it was a porcupine. Buster Brown was quite interested in it, hubby wisely dragged him indoors.
I love going outside, calling for critters and having the wild animals come instead.

They are such gentle slow creatures, and we've seen too many as road kill. I was happy to see this one ambling through the forest. I went to the far side of the meadow and waited for it to emerge from the forest. It barely noticed me and I snapped some great shots. It appeared as if it was missing quills from its nether regions.


Last April I spotted a porcupine in the tree, feeding on buds. I found a video of a coyote trying to go after a porcupine.

9 comments:

Linda said...

You have so many interesting critters! I am not sure I would be happy to see the porcupine though... they sure do a lot of damage to the dogs and cats when they encounter them!

Judy said...

Great photos!! Last time I saw a porcupine he was not going to come out from under the bushes...

TexWisGirl said...

very cute - with no contact. :)

Red said...

So with a raccoon and cat that close isn't there a mighty scrap?
the prcupine looks a little the worse fro wear.

Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to see both raccoons and that lovely porcupine where you live.

EG CameraGirl said...

Really neat shots of the porcupine!

A Colorful World said...

Neat video, and I love your photos of the porcupine and the raccoon! How lovely that you get to see them sometimes!

You stopped by my blog for a Skywatch post two weeks ago and I apologize for being so long in getting back to you! I had a project I was in the middle of for my SIL and then had unexpected company over a long weekend, so I am way behind in my blog comments! Thanks so much for commenting on my Mountain Skies! Hope you are having a wonderful autumn in Canada!

Kay said...

Wow! These are fantastic photos of the porcupine. I've only seen a porcupine once in the wild and it was exciting. Raccoons always worry me because I've heard that they can eat the rubber off of tires to get to the salt.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

They're such funny old things. We used to see them a lot when we went out to cut fire wood (here in Oregon)... not so much lately. Loved the raccoon too.