Friday 11 November 2011

Remembrance Day 11/11/11

I have spent many years, 25 to be exact, as a teacher. On Remembrance Day every school with whom I have been at on Nov. 11th, did a fabulous job putting together a significant, moving ceremony. In Ottawa, with the federal civil service closed for the day, we often have a large crowd in our schools. The downtown ceremony is very moving.

We spend the week ahead teaching students about war, death and dying. They would participate in a wide variety of events, as well as putting their thoughts to paper. In our Language Arts programs, we integrated what we already knew about family members involved in World Wars, and brought in family stories of loved ones present or passed over.
I have taught students who have lived through the Gulf War, fled to the hills to escape war in Afghanistan, and others who were Vietnamese Boat People.

My most eventful activity involved writing a song dedicated to our Peacekeepers. You can hear it here: CanadianMilitary.mov

BUt this year, I'm doing something different. I made a video about my friend in long-term care.
Kay Devlin is a fabulous woman, 94 years old. She is a resident in Perth Community Care Centre.
This is for the One Day on Earth project.

These are my friends in the long-term care where I visit weekly. Art said he hoped his wife didn't see him holding my pink rabbit! This rabbit is battery-operated and sings and dances!

 





Stay tuned for my video.

2 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

You are an amazing person, Jenn. I admire you so much.
I'm looking forward to your video.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Kay said...

I agree with Kay. You are amazing and so wonderful to give your time and love to these beautiful people.