Tuesday 15 November 2011

OCTranspo - public transportation scandal

Paris subway, 2008
You may not have heard of this, or you may have witnessed it on your local municipal transportation system.

A driver yells, harasses a passenger, bullies them, calls them names.
This situation was appalling.

A young, mildy autistic man, was verbally abused by a driver. Another passenger videotaped part of the event on his phone.

Thumbnail

OC Transpo Bus Driver Loses It on Passenger

I was riding the 96 back to Kanata from downtown Ottawa and it's just me, a 20 something male, and the bus driver. During the bus ride I had my...


  It was an awful situation.
Now, I can understand that there are passengers who are a pain-in-the-ass. I grew up in Toronto and took the subway to school. I've seen people in public. They can be idiots.
I've had a man sexually touch me, then leap off of the train. It gives me the creeps now, 40 years later.

But this situation should have been prevented.
Toronto Streetcar

OC union brushes off irate driver video



I am disappointed, on 2nd thought, that he was fired. ATU 279 could have prevented this by intervening with this driver if he had emotional issues, or mental health stress. The message is that he was facing grief issues, his wife and mother both died in the past year. Instead, they now have to go through an expensive appeal process.

I know stress from grief. I moved and found a new job, near to my failing parents, 6 weeks later Mom died, dad's brain tumour returned. Under absence management I took leave and got help. My employer did not suggest help. My boss, not a leader but a demanding witchy principal, did not recognize my grief issues until employee absence management kicked in and they got me some counselling. Grief and depression are intertwined. The union should have been involved in the beginning. But these are not the professionals.

School bus message!
The union could have brokered a deal rather than denying it all.
Not giving the driver 'punishment', but discipline and consequences. Apology to the passenger, admission of guilt, and, finally, conflict resolution would have gone a long way to changing the situation. Instead, the union is in denial. It is shameful. Unions have had their place, but it is time that they evolve from win/lose to resolution, prevention.

We know how to help people under stress. Employers must recognize that such employees are under stress and prevent things getting to this point.
Tour bus
"Right now his life  is very unpleasant." says the union boss. Of course.

"Unjust termination", he suggests. It was just. He had no business treating this young man like that. Everyone responsible must step up.

New video posting of driver on cell phone while driving
Head of union representing  drivers says he's not convinced video is what it appears. Calls it "inconclusive."


1 comment:

Kay said...

Excellent post. This truly shows why you need to know all sides of the story before a decision is made. You're absolutely right about having a conflict resolution strategy in place.