Sunday 27 November 2011

I traded books with James K. Bartleman in Perth

My book is in this store in Perth, Ontario.
In fact, someone from Saskatchewan
phoned them asking for a copy!
I am always happy to talk to another author. The Book Nook was hosting James K. Bartleman's book signing for his new novel. They don't carry my book, putting co-published or self-published books on a shelf in a small books store is nearly impossible. Mine is available here and at the Book Worm in Perth, as well as a few other stores. They carry a nice selection of local authors. For that I am grateful!

I explained to Mr. Bartleman that it is hard to get *my* book into smaller bookstores, if you are not famous, as some want to save space for famous Canadians! He giggled!

 Medical broadcaster Dr. Brian Goldman interviews Perth resident and author Jennifer Jilks July 7 for a CBC radio show (WCBA:
Dr. Goldman in my
kitchen/dining room!
Unless you are with a big name publisher, it is very difficult to get air time, and media attention, as well. Local newspapers have been kind to me. The EMC has highlighted my recent air time on CBC's White Coat, Black Art. But despite a vivid web presence, and many interns at various news outlets phoning to pick my brains, there is little fame or glory!

Dr. Brian Goldman, interviewed me for his White Coat, Black Art Unpaid Caregivers Radio show. I've gotten a lot of response from the show. Many asking for help with loved ones.


This man was picking Mr. Bartleman's brain,
wondering how to publish a book!
I was excited to read in our local Perth papers that this former lieutenant-governor of Ontario, a foreign diplomat for 35 years, was doing a book signing in our wee town. An amazing man who has fought tirelessly for aboriginal peoples, he grew up in Port Carling, a small town, near my former home and cottage in Bala, Ontario. (You can read about Snowmageddon in Port, Dec. 2009.)

His incredible autobiography, Raisin Wine, based on his childhood in Port Carling, is used in high schools, he tells me, to help give our young people an understanding of the history of central Ontario, and the embedded racism that Native Peoples faced as whites moved into their world. The horrible stories of institutionalization, and the impact on its people are a difficult part of Canadian history.

International Aboriginal Festival
I am happy to say that I spent a great deal of time in my classrooms speaking of the truth. Part of the grade 6 curriculum, we took our kids to the International Aboriginal Festival, back in the day. It was a meaningful time for me, as I enlightened my students.

The Book Nook – love these old buildings!
In the store, there was a fair bit of Saturday afternoon traffic. Including one man who was asking about publishing a book. I gave him a couple of suggestions!

I have done a fair amount of research on this for my Pen Menthe creative writing classes I taught in Beaver Creek Penitentiary

6 comments:

Kay said...

It's great when authors can help each other. Sounds like a fun, interesting day for you. Happy Sunday!

Latane Barton said...

hey girl,
hope your weekend has been great and that the upcoming days are as well. Hugs,
Latane

Powell River Books said...

Wayne and I still believe book trades and give aways help get his works out there. The Moonlight Madness sale book signing was pretty successful. Wayne sold 15 books via Coles the Book People. We are so lucky to have the two major book stores in town carry all of his works. And they aren't even on consignment any more. What a relief. We still have consignment books from 2005 "out there." Plan to write them off as losses this year. Easier than going back and asking for the money or books. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks Kay and Latane!
Hope you US Thanksgiving was fun!

I know what you mean, Margy! I still have 3 books at my former Gravenhurst massage therapists place. I didn't want the out on consignment, but there you go.

I didn't sell any 2010/ first six months of 2011.
I've been flogging it every which way.
Mine isn't a cheery topic, but gives information that helps others. I've given a number away to clients.
A PSW who was given a copy by the health unit told me gleefully that she hadn't read it! She wasn't the best PSW I've ever met, either! She could have used the knowledge.

EG CameraGirl said...

I hope your CBC interview leads to some sales!

eileeninmd said...

Congrats and good luck on your book sales.