Wednesday 23 November 2011

Feeding flying squirrels, cats, snow

Feeding time in our zoo. They are like flying squirrels flying up and down off of the counter. Sheer entertainment value.



I have gone to Vimeo these days. Much less advertising, spam and the like.

I've photographed real nocturnal flying squirrels. They are amazing. Hard to photograph in the dark, though! And the cold... I created a video of them one year in Bala.


JB managed to lift his aching back out of bed, fuzzy with pain medications, to film me preparing to feed the cats having dinner. I laugh so much.

forest walkies (run?)
With 16 acres of grassy knolls, 4 bird feeders, lawn, bush, forest, wetland, the twerp keeps crossing the highway.

We've stopped feeding them breakfast, as Felix has been crossing the highway after he's been fed. Treating him like a dog, I'm getting a collar and leash. Short leash in the afternoon when he crosses the highway for field mice.
Such innocence!








See him across the highway? Yikes.
They travel at great speeds on this section of road, and pass one another hurrying in to Perth or south to Brockville.
Today's 10 cm, and still falling snow, has him a bit in shock. At nine months, he hasn't seen snow.
We have our snow tires on, the snow blower is tuned up, and now I shall dig the shovels out of the shed!
Winter, bring it on!

Our World Tuesday– week 13

5 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love your menagerie.. AKA your little bit of heaven.

Christine said...

We got our snow tires on today and yesterday too! We're ready. Nice to see you enjoying your cats.

Powell River Books said...

Love the snow pictures. Aren't cats the greatest? Mom's kitty loves to lie on her bed and watch out the sliding glass door to see the birds at the feeder. I got it for Mom as entertainment in the mornings while she is still in bed, but I think he might like it more than she does. - Margy

Red said...

Flying squirrels are much more common than we think. A guy here has the night imaging stuff and takes us out and it's quite common to find flying squirrels although we never see them in the day time.

Kay said...

That flying squirrel video is great! I've never seen flying squirrels although some of the regular ones in Illinois almost look like they could fly.

Ahh.... snow... I guess winter has come already.