Tuesday 15 March 2011

Animals are stirring & restless

We like going for drives, checking out new spots to visit. We took a trip to Brockville, as my services were not need at Day Hospice. Spotted animals on the ice, playing during March Break!


You can see the melting shoreline, with eager fishers on the ice!

I spoke this morning about the red fox we spotted by the side of the road.


How precious! The animals are waking up from their quiet sleep, some hibernate, some migrate, some estivate. This little guy was so cute. We spotted him in March, 2010.

Animals have different reactions to both cold and heat.
Basically, they aggregate, some for warmth (from our deer, to  mourning doves), then some migrate when food sources dry up. Like our Canada geese. I saw about 100 of them flying in formation yesterday. A sight for sore eyes!

Insects suspend normal life cycles, diapause, between autumn and spring. Reptiles begin brumation in last fall. Reptiles and amphibians are ectothermic, cold-blooded, and cannot thermoregulate.
Estivation (aestivation), is torpor, dormancy or sleep, for critters escaping extreme heat or cold. Som
e animals exhibit diurnal torpor, i.e., bats, who are sleepy in the day.

I'm looking forward to the nocturnal, diurnal critters.
We have a pileated woodpecker who has been louder than usual, seeking insects in our trees.
Dec. 20, 2008
I haven't captured a photo here yet, aside from seeing it on the day we first looked at this house! I shall keep my eagle eyes open!


Today, at the feeder, I spotted Tigger, missing some fur on its neck, sadly, eating all alone. It looks more like a wound from a fence, than anything. I'm open to suggestions from more savvy deer-watchers!

grassy knoll - spot the deer peeking at me?
The deer, usually a group of 9 doe and a few yearlings, often sit or stand up on our 'grassy knoll'. The deer give birth soon, like many mammals.




After Tigger left, there were the typical mourning doves, two red squirrels, three ravens, a grackle, downy and hairy woodpeckers, three blue jays and the ubiquitous chickadees. I love their flight patterns.

June 2, 2009

5 comments:

You can never take too many pictures said...

Yes Jenn, I believe it's probably a tussle he had with a fence or barbed wire. The Does in this area drop their fawns around the middle to end of May...my neighbor found a new born once....probably smaller than your cats right near his woodshed....but by evening the mother came along and they were off....he said it was so tiny!!!!!

You can never take too many pictures said...

Oh How I would have Loved to be shooting that gorgeous little fox close-up! Especialy just as he was yawning....Great Capture Jenn!

Kay said...

I had such fun seeing all your beautiful creatures. That fox is fabulous!

Vagabonde said...

I feel sorry for that little deer but the wound looks like it healed. Pretty pictures of wildlife.

Izzy said...

Your blog is always wonderfully overwhelming!