Friday 14 January 2011

Conquering fear - floods, earthquakes,


Rabbi Harold Kushner has been written10 books so far! He has comforting words, as only a well-loved spiritual guide can write.

The most recent book he has written:

 Conquering Fear: Living Boldly in an Uncertain World


THis is a heart-rending story.With floods in Australia, Brazil, the one-year long aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti, dogs on Quebec found in a ditch with nails in their heads, a police officer run down by some with mental health issues, it is shattering to imagine people, aimals and families so affected. Add to that the horror stories of child soldiers, ongoing civil wars, I count myself fortunate. I grieve for those lost in the recent US shooting.

My fears revolve around my family. You give them roots and wings, and set them off.

You hope you have done the best you could at the time. I know we did well when I see these precious little smiling faces. Their spirits shine through. We know that we can handle anything the universe sends our way. It is all you can do.

Working with my hospice clients makes me realize how much each day counts.

After a lovely visit and lunch with the kids yesterday, we know what is truly important. It is not our things.

Not our home, car, possessions... but family. Tell someone you love them. Drive carefully. Be safe. Remember someone out there loves you!





What do you fear? 

3 comments:

Grandma K said...

Like so many others, I guess I fear death. But it's not so much going into a great unknown, it's because of the feeling "I'm going to miss something.

Kay said...

This is a good reminder to all of us to make the most of everyday. I'll try to do that tomorrow. Thank you, Jenn.

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful photo of all those turkeys, Jenn!

The Kushner book sounds like an interesting read.