Sunday 21 November 2010

Wishcatcher...flying in the breeze

I'm not pleased. I wouldn't sell it. But I put together a number of crafty items, used my teaching experience and created a wishcatcher.

I painted the hula hoop with spray paint, meant for plastic.

The ribbing was from Michael's. A bag of sinew, in pieces, wrapped together. A glue gun is a fabulous invention.

The feathers, for now, are feather dusters!
There are little beads strung into the mix.

Olive, Giraffelope and my chair

The reindeer (Olive, the OTHER reindeer) I bought in Manotick, put her on my car roof, and drove to Muskoka as a gift to my parents many years ago. The car was an Achieva. I was so proud of myself!
my front lawn!

As I said yesterday, I've done Christmas & New Year's cards , macrame (now long settled into dust), when I was in young and home with kids. I made candles. I remember the 70s!

 Inspired by Muskoka Artisans,  (see LuceDee in Bracebridge), and now Lanark County artists (e.g., Perth Studio Tour,) I felt I could find some inspiration and creativity.

Teaching had its moments, but mostly it was deciding what NOT to teach!
I used to just lay out the art supplies, suggest a theme, and watch them create. Some were crafty, created models, others followed their hearts. Art is for fun. I loathe art that looks like all the others. For art is good therapy. It is not something we amateurs feel pressure about. Music was good therapy too. We wrote a class song in 2003, and videotaped it!



Creative activity could be described as a type of learning process 
where teacher and pupil are located in the same individual. 
-Arthur Koestler, novelist and journalist (1905-1983)

10 comments:

Red said...

All the best to you in your new venture of caring for those who are coming to their end. I'm sure you'll do well and grow personally from the venture.

Don Wood said...

I wish you all the best. Teaching can be such hard work, I have never done it but know those who have do and did it is difficult and I am pleased you have found another path. I had a conversation yesterday about doors opening after one closes. XXX Don

http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/

Don Wood said...

OOPS i DIDNT MEAN to put http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/
I thought I still had the copyand paste for my blog My Blog Promote Thanet

You can see why I never took up mteaching LOL XXX Don

EG CameraGirl said...

Cute idea making a dream catcher with a hula hoop. :)

I'm glad you've found something to replace teaching!

Deb said...

That's a very fine wishcatcher!

Junosmom said...

Art and music do make good therapy.

You can never take too many pictures said...

Oh Dear....feather dusters....now that's funny....I think the other ones will be a lot more authentic......Heaven knows what bird those feather dusters came from.....

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I've never seen a dream catcher that big. You'll cathch some big dreams with that.

Catherine Luce said...

Thanks for mentioning me! Creativity is so important whether we try to make a living at it or not. I hadn't done any painting for years while raising my kids and I really missed it!
That gnarly looking chair is amazing!
I guess your not in Muskoka anymore?

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you, all, for visiting and bothering to comment. I've having fun in Perth. Yes, Catherine, I've moved!
Told you, Susan! I knew you'd laugh.
I'm not sure they are real feathers on the dusters, either. A work in progress. Not sure how it will survive in the rain!