Thursday 21 October 2010

We maketh progress, albeit slowly

ISA-funded computer my student used
We have a friend who just bought a home computer, after many years without one, he has no car, no cell phone, and eschews technology.
It is funny that AWAD's word today is luddite

The word, luddite arose from the time (1811 - 1816) when the textile workers opposed to the new machines destroyed them. Ned Ludd destroyed a knitting frame in 1779. This is where the name came from, according to AWAD.

I am not a luddite. I am a proud geek, with geeks in the family. My son-in-law is a software encryption engineer. My M. Sc. daughter uses intricate software in her work as a hydrogeologist.

I used to teach workshops on integrating technology into classrooms. My students used them, and I took workshops to learn how to use them. The theory is often difficult to implement in the practical experience.

Some kids were jealous. The student himself was feeling guilty. It could have been distracting, and it often was, but we managed to make it work for us. It had voice-recognition software, as well as voice-to-text, and text-to-voice capabilities. It was a bit iffy, as only one student could use it, it had to get to know his voice, his speech qualities and patterns, and his repertoire. It took up a lot of space in my classroom. Not only that, but the school board (OCDSB) locked it down and wouldn't let me change settings to better suit the young gr. 7 kid. Terribly frustrating for us geeks. In addition, when he took it home he couldn't make it work with his family's technology since it was locked. The other teachers, with such software on their classroom computers, didn't use them much. They didn't have the time, energy or training. We were cutting edge, but were kept back from the precipice to save us from ourselves.

The constant use of cellphones is another aspect of technology that has grown more quickly than our ethics. This is why Ontario has had to pass laws forbidding the use of technology while driving. This is why many of us are frustrated the cell phone users in public places, e.g., elevators!

Technology can be used for good, but the BP oil rig disaster shows we need to use caution. BP is now moving forward on developing new technology for electric cars. Amazing that it took a disaster for them to believe that they should spend the money on such.



BP and Arco Stations Will Get Electric Car Charging Units


Maybe BP is trying to atone. The oil company, famous in recent months for dirtying up the Gulf of Mexico, has now struck an agreement with ECOTality to install 45 480-volt Blink electric car charging units at BP and Arco gas stations in Arizona, California, Oregon, Tennessee, and Washington.

Perhaps, as technology moves forward, though, we should develop an even more rigorous standard of practice. 

 The ethics around palliative care concern me, as well. Extending life has been all the rage. But chemo killed my mother. Radiation destroyed my Dad's quality of life. 

I've read about 90-something women who are admitted into emergency, given CPR, which breaks their rib cages and causes more pain. Ignoring DNR orders. 

How do you feel about technology?

3 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Interesting thought-provoking post Jenn~
I'm a subscriber to AWAD and so was on your wave-length. Luddite is a word I've heard used (having lived through the introduction of the computer age to the masses)...but I only vaguely knew the history of its origin.

I definitely couldn't live without my computer and cell phone. But I use them the same way as I drive my car -- I don't understand exactly HOW they work, I just use them -- and when the red light (so to speak) comes on I take it to the proper genious to have it seen to!) Sometimes that's my husband. Sometimes someone I have to pay ;>)

The end-of-life technology is a whole other story.

W.C.Camp said...

I was a hydrologic field tech in college for the U.S. Geological Survey. I basically tested water in rivers for sediment transfer. I love geology but life took me toward business and real estate after school. I would love alternative fuels to catch-on to reduce North America's dependence on energy from overseas. I honestly wish electric would work out, but that energy we stuff in our batteries has to be generated from somewhere and most of the U.S. plants run on oil. Canada has shale reserves for oil but it is expensive to extract. The U.S. has coal but not clean enough for pollution standards. The only source that works in the short term is Natural Gas but it does not have any range or distribution system. As fuel prices continue to rise, Solar may prove to be viable, but plan on the equivalent of $5 or $6 U.S. for a gallon of petrol to make it happen. I love the 'promise' that technology provides, but at each new stage, life seems to become more complicated. Interesting topic. W.C.C.

Gill - That British Woman said...

some days I can't live without it.........other days I wish we didn't have it.

Can't programme the dvd, would live without a cell phone, but dh insists I have one in case of an emergency.

Computers....have a love hate relationship with them.........the tv's have that many remotes to them nowadays where do you start. As for the Wii I would love to use it, if only I could figure out how???

Gill