Friday 17 September 2010

Tolerance and understanding in Cottage Country

I preach this. I do. Having taught 25 years in Ottawa, with a rainbow of diverse colours, and nations, I have taken courses in many different creeds. I can respect another's culture, ideas, and can walk arm in arm, even if I cannot walk along the same values.

It is important to learn to disagree agreeably, so I taught in all of my classrooms.

My students learned to accept one another. I was the mother bear protecting her young, as we fought for one another's value as a human being, whether we be abled, disabled, or needed to learn to tolerate difference.

In Muskoka, the colour differences have been slow to manifest. There is still racism in some forms, attitudes have not always changed. Rural Ontario was founded by those who moved into native lands, taking over the water and the animals from Aboriginal Peoples who had learned to live with nature. Yet, their lands were exploited as white folks moved in to fish and cut 200-year-old pines. For more about this, read Ghosts from the Day - Part 2, Lost in the Backwoods  or  Book Review: Raisin Wine. 
Diversity has just reared its colourful head in these parts, and it is delightful, for example, to be able to get some yummy naan in Gravenhurst after all these years. The Gravenhurst museum, the birthplace of Dr. Norman Bethune draws Chinese tourists who still honour this man. See: 
Bethune House in Gravenhurst. His surgical inventions are still used in the war arena.

Those who criticize me for speaking out, I simply shrug. Many are trying to protect one another and our planet. Many are raping the land, polluting the land, air and water. For this reason, I laud the work of Dr. David Suzuki and present the trailer for this new film. We cannot continue to pollute and still expect the world to survive.

David Suzuki, iconic Canadian scientist, educator, broadcaster and activist delivers a 'last lecture' -- what he describes as "a distillation of my life and thoughts, my legacy, what I want to say before I die".
Filmed before a live audience, in front of a memory box of moving, distilled images, he articulates a core, urgent message: we have exhausted the limits of the biosphere and it is imperative that we re-think our relationship with the natural world. Suzuki looks unflinchingly at the strains on our interconnected web of life -- and out of our dire present circumstances, he offers up a blueprint for sustainability and survival.
The film interweaves the lecture with scenes from the places and events in Suzuki's life. As such, the film is a biography of ideas -- forged by the major social, scientific, cultural and political events of the past 70 years.


2 comments:

Red said...

Right on Jenn! I am 100% with you when it comes to accepting that others have the right to be who they are. My first big wake up call was when I was in a small aboriginal community and went to the priest's door and knocked . The priest asked the kids inside who was there. The kids said, "A white man." It was a first for me to be a minority and was a water shed moment.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Very interesting post Jenn. I'm bookmarking it to check the links and look at the video later when I have more time and a better Internet connection (lack of both = hazard of being on a roadtrip).