Tuesday 11 August 2009

What Not To Wear - I


Actually, one of my favourite shows to work out in front of is "What Not To Wear!" I won't go into the details, as many, many people have heard of it. Simply put: two hosts do makeovers on people who have no sense of style, and who they are. It is a formulaic show, but one which reinforces the point that we must look after ourselves, and respect ourselves by presenting a professional, neat, tailored outer side, that matches our inner selves.

I have been watching it for some time. The older shows, while some of the outfits and/or makeup and hair is outdated, has an attitude I can embrace. In fact, what I think has happened is that Stacy & Clinton have developed more sophisticated attitudes, manner and language. Their treatment of clients from their more acerbic wit, designed to find the obscure pun, and get a laugh, has evolved to a demonstration of an understanding of the psychology of the men and women that they victimize! The tell their clients that they are pretty. They are good people and they are worth spending time on themselves.

In the past Stacy and Clinton were much more sarcastic for entertainment value (methinks!). The more recent shows show a deeper understanding of women; their need for reassurance that they are beautiful just as they are. That they can dress their age, not their shoe size, or as a teen, and look younger, more dignified and conquer the world and their lack of self-esteem. Some women, who did not fit the Twiggy stereoptype of perfection, found the 70s and 80s a terrible time to be of large build, imperfect skin, then pregnant and finally a working mom, in an age that didn't totally accept it. Who had time, the knowledge, or the inclination to look after themselves? We were expected to have and do it all: education, career, family, taking positions of responsibility, while entertaining weekly and having the perfect size 8 body. I felt a failure for most of my life.

I was a homemaker and a mother, when my peers were becoming career women. I was a teacher when my peers were becoming women in board rooms. When I put my kids in Day Care, and went out to teach, my peers were becoming principals. During the women's movement I fought a reverse stereotype. I was happy to be a teacher by day and a mom by night. There was much pressure to fulfill all sorts of other obligations, however.

Now that I am dealing with many life issues; middle age, menopause/hormones, teacher burnout, caregiver, bereavement and other life changes, I find it is getting easier to accept that what is...simply is. I wrote about my journey in my book. I am beginning to feel much more myself and I am easier on myself.

Another show, "How To Look Good Naked", is a masterful example of showing women that they are normal, human, and an average size. The phenomenal air brushed model in the Dove - Evolution Commercial, helps us understand that we will look better on the outside if we feel good on the inside. If you have not yet seen it, it is a must!

1 min 14 sec - 15 Oct 2006 -

Rated 4.8 out of 5.0


Reginald Pike's Yael Staav takes us from model to billboard in under 60 seconds

I feel that we do have choices, and that with technology, the economy, ethical committees, standards and a more global understanding of our economic and ecological footprint, that we can now choose NOT to participate in actions that hurt us, others, and the world around us. I have used the premise of What Not to Wear, which truly shows us what TO wear, to write a column about teaching. It was called, 'What Not To Teach!'

We are inundated with choices in curriculum. Many strands within particular topics, and it is difficult to avoid that which buries us in the trivial. For this reason, I think that with all the options to us in the world, we are having difficulty deciding what not to do. What is outside the boundary of ethics? Too many choices exist that are better left undone and innovations that might have better been left unfulfilled. But I will post more on that tomorrow!

2 comments:

Jayne said...

I think there has been a shift as well on the show, and it's a good thing. Yes, it really used to be about not looking frumpy, but the focus has changed to "everyone can be beautiful" and helping women to understand which types of clothes are going to flatter them best. I like the change as well. And the Dove commercials? I could stand up and cheer with tears running down my face. I adore that company for finally understanding what women go through on a daily basis when inundated with "perfect" images with which none of us can compete. BRAVO!

Jenn Jilks said...

I agree, Jayne. Amazing that the pendulum has swung. Twiggy is a person of the past.

Average isn't on the air brushed photos in magazines.