Tuesday 14 April 2009

more than skin deep

I am reflecting is prejudice and how we judge on another. I have watched a number of videos that feature people that wouldn't necessarily be classified as "beautiful". It never ceases to amaze me how we judge by visual perceptions, "by the colour of their skin, rather than the content of their character", rather than by what is inside.

As I get older, and fought depression, my parents illnesses, workplace burnout, and harassment, menopause and the basic ravages of middle age, I often ponder on the lessons I have learned that those who follow must learn again.

What interests me are those in the entertainment industry who, like the Dove commercial, believe we cannot feature people as they are.

Dove - Evolution Commercial





1 min 14 sec - 15 Oct 2006 -
Rated 4.8 out of 5.0





us from model to billboard in under 60 seconds in this impressive new spot from Dove. Credits: Agency: Ogilvy & Mather, Toronto Co-CCOs: ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibyAJOSW8U


I admire people, like Jamie Curtis, who can blast these myths.
Jamie Lee Curtis has nothing to hideJamie Lee Curtis, before a three-hour makeover that invol...27 Aug 2002 ... JAMIE LEE CURTIS had an idea for a story and photo shoot. The result is in the issue that hits ...

Then there are people, who live in a place or situation where they do not have opportunities, and manage to throw people off their assumptions. Paul Potts did a great job with cynical judges who didn't think such a man could sing. He wowed them.

PaulPotts

Observer interview with Paul Potts singing Nessun dorma on UK talent show "Britain's got Talent" ...

I cringe as people, like hosts of Brittain's Got Talent, Simon whassisname, who believes that we want only to see people he classifies as beautiful. He totally dissed her, but now she has her own fan club. She stood up to him and with grace and humour threw it right back at him. On behalf of all middle-aged women, I am so happy to see it. What a role model!






7 min - 11 Apr 2009 -
Rated 4.9 out of 5.0




"I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables" Could not have chosen a better Song ... Susan Boyle BGT ...
Susan has her own fan web site and a Facebook fan page as well !
I hope I have instilled these lessons and values in my own children. I know there are others who feel the way I do.

7 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I think the media is largely to blame for this "so called beauty culture" Jenn. nobody seems to care any more about what a person is like inside - it is how they look, what weight they are and how they dress that is picked up by the media. It was brought home to me when the newspapers criticised our MP Mow Mowlam for her hair, which they said looked "a mess" - what they didn't know was that as well as working very hard as an MP she was also battling cancer with chemotherapy. She eventually died at quite a young age - the newspapers had the good grace to apologise but in my opinion far too late.

Rosidah Abidin said...

This is a beautiful post, Jenn! I really hope that more and more people will apply these lessons in life. We really should see people for their character and by what is inside, like you said.I think it would be much more peaceful on earth. Have a great day :).

Rosidah Abidin said...

I really hope that people instill these lessons in their life's. Seeing others for the content of their character and by what is inside, like you said. I think it would be a much more peaceful world. Have a great day, Jenn :)

Catherine said...

By coincidence I had just been sent the YouTube link to Susan Boyle's performance and had been watching it a short time ago. She has an amazing voice, and a wonderful personality too.
Of course being unemployed she couldn't afford smart hair and makeup etc
It's so much easier to get a job etc if you already have one, as good presentation is expected. Here in New Zealand we have an organisation called "Dress for Success" which helps unemployed women with clothes and presentation for job interviews, they do a wonderful job

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, Weaver, however it is up to parents and peers to talk to each other about it. The outrage around this issue is hitting home.

The people who are the worst are the actors in the Hollywood scene and the entertainment industry.

You or I would never judge someone that way. These people do, and it is a standard of their industry.

Catherine, we have the same type of support as "Dress for Success" - staffed by volunteers who help a person bring a wardrobe together. Another parallel, is the Cancer Society who helps women with grooming issues. It is heartwarming.

Barrie said...

Wasn't Susan Boyle amazing!!?

Jenn Jilks said...

She was, Barrie. Stood up to them all, strong, courageous and gave it her all!