Thursday 1 January 2009

the work ethic

The work ethic is an interesting topic in Canada. What with outsourcing, the developing world developing, and work being sent off-shore, there are those that bemoan the state of the economy.

If we go for the cheapest, like Cheap*Mart does, with undercutting, and forcing companies to use cheaper materials and labour, it is no wonder that small businesses are going out of business. I shudder when I see yet more big box stores in Muskoka.

I see this societal practice reflected in my classrooms. Back in my teaching days many students tended to tackle the "easiest problems". It is time to step up and create jobs through investment in local, regional, provincial, and national industries.

This past holiday season, the we had good news in that our retailers reported good sales. I hope this trend continues. Manufacturing is down but there is hope that things will continue on an upward trend in our region.

No comments: