Friday 17 October 2008

points of view Bala Falls hydro part 5

This has been an interesting situation in our town. Many are rushing to try to prevent the new Hydro Dam Project to rebuild our current dam. Swift River has been hard-pressed to get fair coverage and any coverage!

Our town's economy is in trouble, with tourism dollars down by 30%. One's point of view as tourist, resident, or cottager is different, depending on your situation.

The savethebalafalls.com movement has gained momentum. There was a rocky start on Facebook, with some messages deleted - not the ones I posted here, however, and people were told in no uncertain terms that they were either "for us or agin' us". I asked questions to better understand their issues. Others did the same. We were told to post elsewhere if we didn't agree that the Bala Falls would be 'ruined'. Some of us have done so. Still we get complaints via third parties!

Some are posting threats:




I am allowed a point of view. Interesting that one of my YouTube videos generated an ignorant comment about how I helped lose a Liberal in our riding by voting Green.

There are those who do not understand the freedoms Canadians have in free speech! There is a difference between observing and being for or against a cause. I have posted some videos about the Bala Hydro Dam Project, and they were used by the Dambusters. I like to watch what is going on!
From My Muskoka

1 comment:

Ben said...

I know exactly how you feel. In Thunder Bay, the city is in the process of renewing our waterfront/marina area. This year the Waterfront Development Committee is finally making progress, having accepted a design and begun taking bids from contractors. As with the dam project, there are supporters of both sides: many people want to see the waterfront renewed. They want a nice hotel and condos to bring in tourism and money. There will be a skate park for youth. There are those who oppose the development, some for aesthetic reasons, fearing that the condos and parking developments will destroy the natural beauty of the harbour, and some because they want the money to be spent on renewing other areas of the city, such as some of the core downtown areas.

While I'm personally in favour of the development, I can see why people oppose it. However, don't tell those people that--they'll skin me alive! And such a polarized mentality does not help their cause.

It's strange to see these sorts of things, because too often we look at such polarized, partisan perspectives as "an American thing." I am a great believer in free speech: "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight for your right to say it."