Friday 20 July 2007

I can swim - canoe?

I went for a canoe ride. It was overcast, but quiet as all the tourists have gone home for the work week. Sometimes we just have to do something for ourselves!

There were seagulls, frogs, minnows and dragonflies and it was so very peaceful.IMG_1971.JPG

I should have gone for a workout - get those endorphines moving and get the heart rate up - but felt like puttering in the lake. I paddled heartily around the lagoon side of our peninsula. One of the tourists had not gone home - the wee plane they use to commute to the big city was still there. Ah- such luxury. (Not that I'd feel safe in that small thing!)

When I made it around the other side I found a family of ducks. They are mallards. There was a momma and 9 or 10 ducklings. Wee, downy things. They all seemed to have ADHD, except wise old mom. One word from her and they all moved away from me to the other side of the mom.

I could see that they were headed around toward our frontage and sped home to wait for them. I thought I might take a photo, but changed my mind. I would just enjoy the moment.

Once they made it around the corner, I could see them all bumbling around mom. She paddled by a rock and 4 or 5 bounced up onto the rock, slipping and bopping around. Three lagged behind, screeching to a halt at another rock, bopping into one another. They are so fast - bouncy, yellow, fluffy little things - I could hardly keep up with them visually. Two more got onto another rock and fell of into the water. She spotted me and froze. One quack and they all lined up on the other side of her. She weighed the danger and decided that I was a risky proposition. With another quack they all followed after her. My 3 kids sure didn't do this. I used to have to step over one of them, who would have a temper tantrum regularly in the mall. Eventually he'd follow me! I hope my grandchild, expected Dec. 23rd, behaves as well as they do!

She took them across the lake and I didn't get to see them up close. I always count the ducklings. Every year we have 3 or 4 families. Each has their own number of ducklings. The fisher (weasel-like critter, alien species introduced to this area) follows them around the shore and slips into the water. Each week it seems to get one or two of these babies. The poor momma.

It is the cycle of nature. I decided to go inside and do some work on the treadmill. I miss my mother, too. We have to sell mom and dad's furniture this week. We have to clean out the storage locker. She has jewellery that I must go through.We have to sell the things we will not use.

Just like the old trees that die and fall to the forest floor - they make way for the new trees to grow and have their chance to bask in the sunshine. Another day dawns. The sun is shining. All will be revealed!

No comments: