Tuesday 20 February 2018

Pileated Woodpecker

 I was doing a walkabout for the Great Bird Count! I could hear him in the forest, squawking at someone. The chips on the ground were a tell-tale sign. There he was! Male Dryocopus pileatus.
The pileated part is the red crest, which is from the Latin pileatus, which means 'capped.'
The males have a red mustache.


In summer, I've found three of them during one walk across our 2nd and 3rd lots, in the forest. We have 16 acres, total. Mostly swamp (~10 acres)!
Upon circling the tree, I managed to get a better view. I was worried about disturbing him, and I did. (See the end of the video) As I backed off, however, he flew in a circle around the forest and came back to the tree.



Feb. 18

I went back the next day, to do another walkabout, and snapped a better photo of his hole. It would make a nice nesting cavity for the barred owl. The barred owl nest is looking a bit the worse for wear.


I could see him across the highway. This is a pretty dirty lens, but you get the drift. It's too bad the shot of him in flight wasn't focused. I'm just not swift enough.

Why don't woodpeckers get concussions?

File:Dendrocopos major skull.jpg
Wiki Jimfbleak
Woodpeckers' tongue are long, and wrap around up over their eyes to absorb the shock of the head-banging.

This photo's post shows the end of his tongue! It is raspy, and can skewer the bugs!

They are large birds, their bodies can be 49 cm (19"), and their wingspan up to 76 cm (30").



Pileated woodpecker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

8 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
WOW! What female wouldn't be impressed with that architect's work??? What a busy bird it has been. That is amazing footage, Jenn!!! YAM xx

Cloudia said...

Good One, Jenn!

Nancy J said...

I had read about the concussion factor, nature is so wonderful to protect birds and animals in unique ways.

William Kendall said...

They're fun birds to watch!

Anvilcloud said...

They are ver odd creatures when you think about it.

Red said...

Pileated are fascinating to watch. they will get very close to you. Then you have to be still.

Angie said...

When we lived in Ohio, our house was on the edge of a large wood, and we frequently saw pairs of pileated woodpeckers. I am still in awe of the size of these birds, and the holes they can make in trees. I also like their very distinctive 'laughing' call. Thanks for sharing this post, especially the videos!

Kay said...

Oh wow! That is just so awesome! I've never seen this bird in the wild. You see so many amazing sights around your house.