Sunday 26 February 2017

Owl hunting on Wolfe Isl.

Dec. 31st, 2014
Traditionally, birders only tell other birders (privately) where they find amazing birds. Everyone knows, however, that Wolfe Isl. has a lot of snowy owls (for some reason). So, I'm not giving anything away here, especially since we didn't see any! Not a one. I was so flummoxed.

We've been to Wolfe Isl. several times, only once seeing an owl.
Snowy owl #1 Dec. 31st, 2014 It's all very exciting, owl watching!
Snowy owl #2
Snowy owl photo-op #3 (Ottawa)!
Wolfe Island Trip 2016 Part 1: Sites and critters 


There wasn't much snow, and there was a lot of fudgey road. See my boots!
We had left home at 8:30 to catch the ferry across, and over we went. We rode the Wolfe Isl. Ferry

We tootled around a bit (26 min.; 19km), then hubby wanted to stop for a cookie. I suggested we just have lunch, since it was 11:30 and I had forgotten to have some before we left! Lunch in the W.I.P.P., to start the day. We took Muffin Muncher. He had a chat with a little boy just as we left!



We spotted three red-tailed hawks, a tree sparrow, pigeons, geese, a pair of deer, cows, crows, then a horse ,and foal napping! I was so disappointed. But, then, I DID see the Great Horned Owl on the way here. Great Gray Owl Sighting



We traveled 67 km, over 141 minutes, having driven over 100km to get there in the first place! Finally, at 2:30 we hopped back on the ferry to go to the hotel.


11 comments:

Cat Lover said...

Looks like you had a lovely time. Great critter photos!

Anvilcloud said...

Well ... fudgey road is new to me, but I like it.

Nancy J said...

lovely outing, and again, with your words, I can imagine being right there too, Grey skies, " Fudgey Road"!!! So right, it looked very mushy to me. And some birds as well, a great day.

William Kendall said...

Any chance to get out for a drive is a good one.

Red said...

Wow. this road trip gave you lots of great photos.

Lowcarb team member said...

You've shared an amazing amount of photographs.
Lovely to see.

All the best Jan

The Furry Gnome said...

Sorry you didn't spot any owls. We spotted quite a few after two failures - see my post yesterday.

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Jenn, shame you didn't see any Snowy Owls this trip but thanks for your links.
Really beaut to see all your photos, interesting looking at the houses too. The blue house being so close to the wind turbines is a rare sight (for us over here).
Thanks for your post. Cheers now :D)

NatureFootstep said...

would love to see the Snowy Owl :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It really is fun to go back and look again though! I love owls and we hear them when we hike but I haven't seen one here in Florida yet! Great photos this week!

Anonymous said...

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility
but I thought I'd post to let you know. The layout
look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Cheers