Monday 4 April 2016

Book Review: Backroads of Ontario

4th edition by Ron Brown
I don't often put up a guest post, but hubby offered to review this book for me!

BACK ROADS OF ONTARIO

Review by JB

 A little background. My wife loves back roads. Nothing make her happier than a " Use at your own risk, not maintained by the county"
NOW they tell us!
We travelled this one!
Jenny & Joey's trip through the jungle
sign. The muddier, rockier, narrower, one car pulls over when, and if, another appears, with hills, occasional water hazards, etc. are her favorites. Not ATV territory, but up and including the Gargantua Bay road across Lake Superior Park and Cedar Bridge Rd. So when I saw the title, I wondered about Mr. Brown's definitions.

 I have to say that he delivered. We have been on a number of the outings he describes and recommends, and actually live in one the areas, and I think between his descriptions and photos, he has captured the reasons to go see them, and put fun back into car trips. He wisely, counsels that some roads are not for ordinary vehicles, which I suspect involve both traction and clearance issues.

 I would also suggest that the intrepid traveller get some small scale local back road maps, as GPS directions as good as they are, sometimes don't get the dead ends, or road conditions as they are. Also not all places have great cell phone coverage. An actual map store is a great place to detailed local maps. So get the book, and plan new overnight adventures or make that long trip slower but a lot more fun.
How deep could it be?
Cedar Bridge Rd.
Jenny & Joey's trip through the jungle


 The book includes 24 trips, each illustrated with photographs and accompanied by an easy-to-follow map. Trips range in length from afternoon outings to weekend excursions and all lead to out-of-the-way places within easy driving distance of Ontario's major cities. You can read more about this book here, where they offer some of the pages. 

7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Anything much locally?

DeniseinVA said...

A wonderful post, and taking the back roads always leads to some wonderful adventures :)

William Kendall said...

I have picked up an earlier edition of this one.

Debbie said...

Sounds like a great book, back roads are always best!!!!

Red said...

Great post JB!

sandy said...

I enjoyed your post. I'm like your wife - i love the backroads and I am always looking for something to photograph - i never leave my camera at home. We take out in our jeep although there are some places I just won't go - i get out of the car and let him get through the narrow passages of a road or hill and then get back in when it's safe. After all, someone has to be conscious if there is an accident to call for help - and that would be me, lol.

Judy said...

That sounds like a great book to have! We love riding dual sport motorcycles on Idaho's backroads so we understand the love of exploring :-)