Monday 19 March 2012

Blue heron return to Lanark County!

There are some, like me, who fear an early spring. The bugs will be early, perhaps they will leave early, but then the frogs will arise from their dormancy, and will need the bugs, and the heron need the frogs!

Not that I don't revel in spring's return, but to everything there is a season. Having turned 'shifty-five', I know to expect spring, but it is always joyful to see the signs in the arrival of  fauna (heron) or the awakening of those who slept: frogs, and other amphibians. I spotted a snake the other day.

This is the only shot
with any colour!
We'll need rain, as the land will be dry with this early melt. Last year we had a dry August, and our frog pond dried up totally. Little minnows, pond puppies, flapping about in the last puddle, eventually succumbing to their plight. There is a rhythm to the seasons.

The heron sit on their nests in the wetland, but only the shoreline has thawed. The ice will keep the bog cold for a time. Yesterday's temperatures will help the thaw.

On Sunday we saw temperatures of 23 in our backyard.
In parts of North America there are high risks of wildfires. Another worrisome issue.

You'll forgive my long shots of the heron. I have no way of getting closer. My amateur zoom lens is usually quite adequate for this retired teacher, amateur naturalist and gramma! As an elementary teacher I taught all subjects: MADD (music, art, dance, drama!) as well as science, math and language arts. I loved giving my digital camera to the worst behaved child in the class during an assembly. She'd be too busy taking photos to get into trouble!

It was funny watching these birds. One kept doing circles around the others in these two nests.
see it circling around?

And around again!

Aren't they wonderful?
Incoming!

They are so graceful, even if they have a raucous squawk! 

The nests are huge!
Check out the one precariously perching!

Funny critters!
Settling in.


In 2009 I wrote an Ode to Spring

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this. I love herons. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. gin

Linda said...

Even far away these photos are wonderful to see! I agree with the rhythm of the seasons, but I really prefer the warm seasons! I love green and growing, and the birds and all things colorful!

TexWisGirl said...

how cool that you get to see them nesting! i hope you get lots of rains this spring to put things back in order!

Red said...

You're a sneaky devil to give a rabble rouser your camera in assembly!! That's exactly what those kids need for them to be able to behave somewhat normally. Let them carry books...anything to occupy them.

Unknown said...

You're sure fortunate to have those heron move in!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I take a lot of gray shots when we're in Oregon -- no post editing needed.

The birds actually show up beautifully in your pix.

Too-early spring isn't good. Climate change, but nobody wants to think about it.

Martha Z said...

You remind me that it is time to check out the heronry again. Last time I checked they had not yet paired up.
Weather patterns do seem out of whack. The amplitude of the jet stream is extreme resulting in wide swings of weather patterns.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You did great..we have a Rookery nearby..you have to watch out for fish flying through the air once the eggs hatch and the parents are feeding..and the smell is horrible:)

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I've never seen heron nests... so interesting, and they look huge! You live in a beautiful area.

Joe Todd said...

I heard there would be no black flies ths year..Maybe wishful thinking.. LOL