Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Drivin' on down the road

 We took off for a craft show nearby! It looked like a great day for it. A little chilly, but sunny. 

This is the reality of rural life. Isn't it a huge vehicle?! The people driving behind us were a bit miffed that they couldn't drive 20km over the speed limit. With all the oncoming traffic we had to go 20 km under it. 

Rural living!



The parking lot was full, and we parked on the highway. Thank goodness for wide shoulders. Admission was a toonie ($2) that went to the women's shelter. We donate monthly, but there you go. 

It is a lovely location on the water. We browsed the booths, and Joe bought some jam. I was looking for Christmas/birthday presents, but didn't see anything suitable. Still, a nice trip out.
Joe wanted a hot dog, but they were not ready to serve. We went home for lunch.








As we left, the geese flew over in formation. I got rid of some of the hydro lines with iPhoto. 

The sumacs are looking magnificent.




I was happy to get home. A lovely day. We didn't buy much. I was finding it hard to find something for presents. I couldn't concentrate. 

🚪 The beauty of the day was marred by two Jehovah's Witness (?) who came to the door. The 100m private driveway and gate doesn't dissuade them. They come by once in a while to preach to the infidels, Oct. 2025, March 2025. This dude tried to engage Joe Brian in a philosophical discussion, "Do you want to live forever?" JB said he didn't want to have a discussion at the door, kindly asked them to leave.  I just don't engage in conversation. 

I wasn't feeling 100% well and had put my feet up. I am glad I wasn't here alone. Two men at the door? No way. As I heard the discussion, I thought to myself, "Give me your home address, and I'll bother you at your house." I just don't now how they think this is OK. I want to find out where they came from, and tell them not to visit anymore. The arrogance. 

🛫 This is a new phenomena: preaching on airplanes:
An evangelist was removed from a United Airlines flight after ... 
Rant over!  

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

The patriarchal nerve of them! They even wear the name Jehovah! Loved that the fair was good weather, and my goodness that was a huge vehicle on the road! I tried thinking of Christmas presents too at my recent festival visit. No luck. I came away thinking I'd see if I could still knit something for some special people...but it's only 2-1/2 months away, so we know how likely that will be!

Anvilcloud said...

I was rather abrupt when three came to the door quite some time ago — man, woman and young girl. It really grinded my gears that they were dragging that child along.

tz_garden said...

I find it very intrusive when anyone comes to the door, I'm with you. Rude!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
The Kingdom Hall here is just around the corner from The Hutch. Once in a year, maybe, I get a letter through the door 'inviting me'. As I'm mostly not there, that's all I know! YAM xx

Barbara said...

That’s frustrating. We don’t get them coming to our door too often but it’s hard to get rid of them when they do. I don’t want to be rude - but sometimes you have to be.

RedPat said...

We bought a Christmas present this week. It will be perfect so couldn't resist.
I don' like random people coming to the door.

Nancy J said...

The preachers did visit us at out other home, but gave up after I told them SO many times I would not be changing my preferences.!!!The worst example was a mother with her daughter who came on Christmas Day!!! I guess they are all doing what the higher ups tell them to do . Presents, mine tend to get more practical as the years go by.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Try Singing Happy Birthday as you open the door then ask them in to the birthday party! You can ask them not to darken your door again!

Mary Kirkland said...

We get them in my neighborhood too but they ride up and down the street on bicycles and stop anyone outside.

Red said...

I phoned the church and asked them to put me on a no call list and don't call back until I call you. It's worked

Hena Tayeb said...

I saw the preaching on the plane as well.. and oh boy oh boy.
Hope you are feeling well and it wasn't the beginning of something.

eileeninmd said...

The craft fairs are fun. Love the pretty trees and colors.
Take care, have a happy day!