Sunday 15 November 2020

Happy birthday, Grampa!

We haven't been out, preferring to be safe, until this month. We took a drive to Canoe Lake, and Westport last week. We just had to get out somewhere. I went out to buy spray paint last week. It was the first time I'd not talked to anyone but family in weeks. JB is the shopper. 


I found some swamp for sale, if you are interested!


Grampa turned 71 today. The kids came over yesterday. 

JL made lentil soup for dinner. 

I'd made a cake, and the girls were to decorate it. Momma sent Grampa and JL out for a walk so we could ice the cake. I had bought an icing bag, but not the tips. Poor Isabelle searched the pantry for me in August for Momma's birthday. We couldn't find any. What was I thinking? I ordered them from Lee Valley this month, and the girls went to work. Momma took photos!













I'd made what we call a crazy cake, from the I Hate to Cook cookbook. AKA cockeyed cake, from Peg Bracken's 1960 cookbook: flour, baking soda, sugar, cooking oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water. (No eggs, yeast, or dairy, which hubby cannot have!) The icing was a mistake, water and icing sugar. I'll have to find a better recipe. Isabelle made a '71' with chocolate bar pieces.

I'd ordered a book for Grampa, Aug. 11th, but it didn't arrive. A Canadian book, Amazon sent me a message saying it wasn't available. This is the second time a pre-ordered Canadian book was 'unavailable' the month it was published. I cancelled the order and ordered from the publisher. Lesson learned.
We've the girls for the next week. This will cheer us up, I'm sure.

I did buy him this book, we have book 1, by a local Ottawa artist and storyteller. Andrew King included a signed postcard in the book! 





They did some tree climbing in the afternoon, and Isabelle did a Facetime with a friend, showing her the cats. We had some wonderful conversations and watched the Stark Trek prequel, Star Trek Beyond.

14 comments:

RedPat said...

We have an Andrew King painting. I didn't know he had done some books. Happy Birthday to the birthday boy!

Anvilcloud said...

Happy Birthday to the old fella. While 71 sounds old, I realize that he is younger than I am. Good grief.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Greetings to Gramps from the bonny land!!! How wonderful to have the kids with you. YAM xx

Nancy J said...

Happy Birthday, And many wonderful wishes flying North to you. A good time together, a great cake, and the young ladies for another week, your home will be full of happiness.

Kathy G said...

It sounds like a great birthday celebration.

When I played with decorating cakes I used an icing of shortening, confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and a couple of spoonfuls of water.

DUTA said...

The birthday cake looks great! Happy belated Birthday to JB!
The girls fill your house with joy and action anytime. You're blessed.

Olga said...

The birthday appears well and happily celebrated.

Tom said...

...Happy Birthday Grampa, I have a few on you!

The Furry Gnome said...

Sounds like lots of fun! Welcome back to the girls.

Christine said...

Happy Birthday to JB! Well celebrated with a gorgeous cake!

Red said...

Happy birthday to GRandpa!

Karen said...

I've seen Mr.King on the noon news program several times in the past couple of weeks. I'm excited to read this book too. Another couple of fun books JB might like is Phil Jenkins An Acre of Time, or As I Walked About. More Ottawa history.
Happy Birthday JB!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy belated BD to your guy! My husband would tell him the next decade goes by really fast ! I remember Peg Brackens cookbook, dang I wonder what happened to my copy of it? (That’s the downside of downsizing, I’m forever trying to remember what I did with something,)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Birthday to your guy!