Monday 5 July 2010

geocaching, goslings, tadpoles & a few of my favourite things

On a day that promises to be another scorcher, the deer flies are happy, the deer may not be.

The turkey jumped out at me from the bush. I had spotted a buck, and was following its path (without much hope, I might add) and serendipity...the turkey leaped out from the brush into camera focus. I never seem to capture what it is I prey for!

Depending where you are, the mosquitoes are merciless in our deep bush.

Yesterday, I did my first geocache.
Jan 10, 2009 ... Geocaching is an outdoor activity where people try to find hidden containers using only latitude and longitude along with searching techniques. A handheld GPS receiver is used to navigate from any place on Earth to the hidden container.

Mind you, I haven't had the $$$ to buy a GPS yet, but found the site using the map location, and knowing what I know about our lake!


Back home, I watch the goslings diving for food. What a splash!The dear little things are eating anything that moves: bugs on water plants, and greenery.
What I love is that one move from mom and they all huddle beside her, and then follow in a straightish line!
Down at the frog pond, the bullfrog tadpoles are quite large, with back legs growing. The Spring Peeper tadpoles are so tiny - about the size of one of the bullfrog tadpoles legs! You can see the little black spot bottom centre!


The smaller frogs, green, are nearly ready to breathe air. This is a photo as I passed it to check out the frog pond, and when I came back...

Life is full of small and big miracles.

3 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You are such a nature person. I am constantly amazed with how much in touch you are with your surroundings.

Congratulations on your first geocache! Especially that you did it sans GPSr. Did you create an account (free) on geocaching(dot)com and log your find online.

There is a whole subgenre of geocachers who find them as you did, without a GPSr.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've been doing a lot of pacing along our shoreline these days! What pressure?
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have another I can't locate, and another I might take a look for ,too. It is a good activity while seeing if we sell this house or not this week!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Who needs an expensive machine when you know your area as well as you do! I've always thought that hobby would be fun though. Your frogs are adorable.