Thursday 18 January 2018

BIrd feeder, front window, and tennis action

It's been busy around here, what with cold temperatures and snowfall, and melts. We've been experimenting with suet feeders. This one lasts longer, it seems, than our other one.

It's quite user-friendly, as you remove the jute, take it over to the hanger, hang it up, then slide off the cover. No mess on one's hands!

The red squirrel was trying to get the last remnants of the suet out of the bag. They have wicked teeth!


Then there is the single male cardinal. I love watching him. He tends to visit more reliably at dusk and early dawn. Not great for photos, but he is a fine looking bird. You can watch how he manipulates the seed. At the end of the video, the deer are around looking for seed under the feeders.
Cardinal from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Hooper like watching the birds from the window. You can see the bulbs I've planted [Kitty play time] and recall they were digging in the dirt. Hubby looked all over town for river stone, to stop him from digging in the container. He found some aquarium stone.

Back to tennis. It's terribly hot. It's quite stressful on the athletes, I'm sure. The man, for some reason, play up to 5 games, the women three. I think three is much more sensible. It shouldn't be a marathon, but a tennis competition.

 Hooper is a fan.  He doesn't have a favourite... 
Hooper tennis from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We watched Shapovalov, and the two beefy men on his team, with the little koala mascot in front of them! So cute. I forget that Chapeau, as they call him, is only 18. He's intense. His name is quite the attention getter as sports announcers seem to either forget trying, or neglect to research the pronunciation. It's there on YouTube. I think it only respectful to try and get someone's name correct, especially if you are in media. As a teacher, I worked very hard on this.

Anyway, once outdoors, I noticed we have a mouse hole, which I shall have to fill sometime! It's there, under the middle of the bench, under the window. Three cats, indeed!

10 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Is filling a mousehole the same as shutting the door after the bolted horse? As always, I am a little jelly green at all your wildlife!!! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the squirrels seem to be able to get to all kinds of food and feeders. There is no stopping them. Cute birds and I love your cat watching TV.

Enjoy your day!

carol l mckenna said...

Adorable kitten caught my eye and neat suet ~ squirrels are outrageous no matter the feeder! Wonderful videos ~ fun!

Happy Weekend coming to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy J said...

Those 5 set matches must be gruelling in that heat. Love the feeders, and a wee mouse hole, has he been inside for the winter and now coming out?

William Kendall said...

The squirrel is tenacious!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I swear that the squirrels in our neighbourhood are reaching plague proportions! I am going to try live trapping them and relocating them to natural areas but I suspect that others will move in to take their place. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Red said...

It looks like you could write the book on bird feeding.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love reading about how you spend your cold winter days -- the birds are so lucky to have you taking care of them (and that wicked squirrel too!)

DUTA said...

Shapovalov is israeli born of russian descent. I wonder whether he's related to Yevgheni Shapovalov, also an israeli, but with a great international career as an opera singer. Anyway, russians are good stuff whatever they do.

Kay said...

I could almost feel that squirrel's frustration. They are very determined. I remember that well from Chicago.