Thursday 24 March 2016

Book Review: the Illustrated Emily Dickinson Nature Sketchbook

March 21 was International World Poetry Day 
This is a beautiful book. What I love about it is that it would interest both a poet and an illustrator and often creative types have skill in art and verse. In my forays into sketching, these prompts are fascinating. 

Emily Dickinson's poem are wonderful. I haven't written much poetry lately, although I always try to do one on my family's birthdays.

The sample pages below demonstrate the space the editor has provided for your own artistic efforts, as well as inspiration from Tara Lilly.

We did some art while grandsitting our girls. I know this would appeal to my 8-year-old Josephine. She is always drawing.


The Illustrated Emily Dickinson Nature Sketchbook (Quarry Books, 2016) has a beautiful embossed cover, and is filled with Emily Dickinson's brilliant poetry about nature and love to inspire drawing and literary exploration with gorgeous full color illustrations and prompts. With lush illustrations from Lilla Roger's 2014 Global Talent Search winner Tara Lilly, this interactive sketchbook is the perfect gift for the artist or poetry lover in your life.
Inline image 2Inline image 1

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Just read 'The Humans' in which ED was prized as pretty much the ultimate poet. Good book if you haven't read it.

William Kendall said...

A creative idea- thanks for pointing the book out!

Kay said...

And this sounds like a lovely book.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm going to look for this. Thanks.