Tuesday 23 October 2012

When turkeys fly!

Wild turkeys were extirpated from Ontario in 1909 (MNR info), but they were native. The thing is, when they reintroduced them (long story!) they didn't reintroduce the same species. They fly, very high and very well!


Having written about this before, Wild Turkeys

 (about the reintroduction of turkeys into Ontario), I found that our American neighbours sent us a number of turkeys. The hunter's federations were the motivators, but reintroduction of extirpated species, cycle of life, All God's creatures, and all, seemed to be a good thing.

About a metre (yard) high, wild turkeys cannot be missed. 
They are best known for the male 'gobble'.
Other calls include yelps (keouk, keouk, keouk);
the cluck(kut), a call to group together;
the whistle (kee-kee run) of a young bird;
the alarm or warning (putt)

 

6 comments:

Judy said...

Jenn, I am going to nit-pick - I checked the links you provide, and the second one says the introduced birds are eastern wild turkeys, same as the ones that were hunted out 100 years ago, but you say they are a different species...
I have also heard people around here say there are two different flocks - one is pure wild turkeys, and the other is feral birds, not the big white ones but ones that are closer in colour to the wild turkeys.
But a lot of information, anyway!! Love the photos!!
I heard one person tell about watching a turkey walk down the side street, and fly over the house to get to the back yard...

EG CameraGirl said...

Lately I have seen a lot of turkeys. I think they are making a comeback BIG time. :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lots of turkeys! Ours are hiding out now I guess (I think it's because its raining so hard, not because they're afraid of Thanksgiving coming ;>))

Jenn Jilks said...

It's true, Judy. They disagree. I have a hard time figuring it all out. I'm going to have to read some more. The Internet is the grand garage sale in cyberspace!

Red said...

The modern day landscape in the country with openings, cover and food make excellent habitat for turkeys. They have tried to introduce them here but our winters are usually too severe. What has learned to cope here are chukars. They like cities where there are lots of feeders.

Jenn Jilks said...

Never heard of chukars, Red. They are cute, unlike my turkeys!