Saturday 27 August 2011

Butterflies and bugs...


My hubby accused me of heading towards a new degree:
Entomology

 (from Greek ἔντομοςentomos, "that which is cut in pieces or engraved/segmented", hence "insect"; and -λογία-logia[1]) is thescientific study of insects, a branch of arthropodology

Not me! I have three degrees in people, and I'm not going back to school! I love reading about the bugs I find (i.e, monarchs). I spot them, take a photo, and try to figure out what they are. Often, my faithful readers point them out to me! For example, the differences/similarities between monarch and viceroy are amazing!
To imitate a poisonous monarch is the smartest ever!

Our 16 acres provides much in the way of ecosystems. We have a diverse flora and fauna: a big clovered, weedy lawn; swamp, bog, wetland; lots of deer meadow (both arid and humid); and forest.
A swamp is a wetland community with little peat development that is dominated by shrubs or trees. A marsh is a wetland without much peat that is dominated by herbaceous plants that are floating, submergent, or emergent. 
This past week's haul:

Looks like a leaf, yes?




Then it opens its wings...




Liberated this one from the kittens

wasps
wasps & caterpillar


walking stick, so cool!

praying mantis

walked off my hand...
twerp pinched me!










Praying mantis!
Camera Critters
Visit more critters here!

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

We like the lil' critters here too! Wonderful captures!! =D

Powell River Books said...

We had our fill of yellow jackets this week. They decided to make a nest inside the hollow pillar running up the side of our condo building. They entered on our porch roof and went all the way up to my Mom's porch roof on the floor above. The exterminator had to come back twice to get rid of them. No stings for us! Plus no pictures, the nests were all hidden inside. - Margy

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very nice photos.

Regards!