Tuesday 26 July 2011

Is plagiarism, journalistic navel-gazing, becoming a trend?

Is it me? Or is on the rise? Or maybe it is just more easily found out? Certainly, my blog spam has increased. I've left Google+ because I had 29 strangers add me to their 'circles', which meant either blocking their stupidity, or removing their inane posts from my notifications. How ridiculous and what a time waster. If I wanted to waste time, I'd be doing that reading about people I like!




Plagiarizm or Plagiarism.
In the meantime, back to my point. Plagiarizm or Plagiarism. Depends upon where you live and write, or steal from!
Plagiarizing politician Koch-Mehrin outrages scientific community

Scientists in Germany convinced Silvana Koch-Mehrin to step down from the research committee of the European Parliament. She briefly joined the committee earlier in the week - after losing her Ph.D. due to plagiarism.
She is the latest German politician to lose her doctorate, since former Defense Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg resigned on March 1 after his Ph.D. was rescinded due to plagiarism that earned him the nickname "zu Googleberg."



German defence minister resigns in PhD plagiarism row

Imagine!

Then there was the Canadian medical school Dean who plagiarized a speech to grads. What was he thinking? He resigned as dean, but isn't gone, he's still a professor.

17 Jun 2011 – Philip Baker will stay on at the University of Alberta as a professor after admitting to plagiarizing a speech.


Should Law Grad Lose His Diploma for Plagiarized Speech?

20 May 2011 – Should Law Grad Lose His Diploma for Plagiarized Speech?


With the mess in the UK, journalists hand-in-hand with police, conducting illegal activities, I shudder.


Phone-hacking scandal spreads to other British newspapers

Jul 24, 2011 – Trinity Mirror group, publisher of Britain’s left-leaning Mirror tabloid, is facing allegations of intercepting voicemails

Journalism
Journalism has changed, too. Gone are the days when the journalists would write about the news, they didn't create, or become part of, the news. (This is different from investigative journalism.) Our local paper featured the first person account of one reporter who participated in the 2nd Annual Perth Kilt Run. Seems like navel-gazing to me. Dunno. First-person items that laud themselves, and their journey. I think one needs perspective to write about something as a paid professional. Blogs I can read at my leisure, newspapers delivered to my door I want to have facts and food for thought.

We have several big newspapers, all on-line in Ontario: Ottawa Citizen, and Toronto Star.
What I loathe about these newspapers is that their on-line presence now include time consuming videos, with ads, that slow down my getting information.

I wanted to see Jack Layton, as he spoke at his press conference, 'raw video' that would show his spirit and his demeanour. I had to wait through an ad for cars. The fine print reads, 'Advertisement: video wil start shortly'. What is a pain is that you can embed the video on your own blog, but the ad comes with it.

The big papers in Toronto and Ottawa do not feature many stories about surrounding areas. The Citizen is a little better than the Toronto Star, in that Perth will get covered, e.g., the young man killed in a hit and run [Fatal hit-and-run leaves town reeling July 25, 2011], or the Osgoode man killed in a traffic incident [Single-vehicle crash kills Osgoode man, 22]


But the Toronto Star is hard-pressed to cover a big region, like Muskoka, where a million people might travel on a long weekend.

I love the smaller, more local papers, like Perth Courier (Metroland Media), EMC news. EMC publishes in Smiths Falls, as well as Perth. They kindly featured a story about my interview with Dr. Brian Goldman.

Author's research aimed at caregivers


Posted Jul 14, 2011By Chris Must
EMC News - "It is possible to live and die with dignity, but it isn't always certain," writes Jennifer Jilks in the introduction to her book, Living and Dying with Dignity. Jilks, who recently moved to Perth after living in Toronto, Ottawa, and Muskoka.




I love seeing the sights of Ontario
Along that line: I just heard about a local non-profit blog: The Millstone
  The Millstone is an on-line community newspaper focussing on the town of Mississippi Mills which includes  Appleton, Almonte,  Blakeney, Clayton, Pakenham, and Ramsay Ward,  and on the town of Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada. It provides an intelligent and informed source of news and opinions. Its name pays tribute to the strong history of mills in the area.  

Beaverton memorials to mills
me an' Sir John!
The writers are members of the Almonte Press Club. I like this idea. Having been a published education writer, mentor, and workshop leader in Curriculum and Technology, I am keen on keeping my hand in sharing what I know, what I see and what I do.  (Yes, we old f@rts used technology in our work!)

No longer can I share opinions in the staff room, it is good to be able to discuss world events with remote friends. 


4 comments:

Olga said...

I doubt plagiarism is anything new, but it is probably easier with all the new technologies--and way easier to spot. Why do people persist in the belief they will not get caught? In Vermont for the past several months it seems like someone is accused or convicted of embezzlement every week.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is easier to catch people at it, I agree it's not new. Easier to find fodder for stealing, too. I once had a student submit a 5-stanza poem, all in Ebonics, and he was a a white rural kid who couldn't write a poem for love nor money, or even marks!!! As if I couldn't find it myself online and catch him out at it. Parents didn't care he pretended it was his!

Kay said...

It must be even easier to plagiarize now with the Internet. I don't know how teachers can catch each child these days.

It's also easier to share opinions and get feedback from cyber space. So I suppose there's good and bad.

Kay L. Davies said...

You're right, Jenn. The news isn't what it used to be.
I was fortunate to work in the newspaper business in the mid-60s when some of the good old newspaper writers, men and women, were still working.
Reporters had rules, would you believe? Okay, you would believe, but young people wouldn't.
In fact, there were quite a few rules, including "check your facts" and "identify your source" and "be ready to stand by what you've written." There were others, pertaining to style, etc., but the Number One Rule was "reporters report, they don't have opinions"!
Sometimes a reporter would be sent to participate in something like the Kilt Run (oh, I want to see that!) and write about it in the first person, if that was the assignment, but the words "I" and "me" had no place in a news story.
Facts, figures, quotations (almost always identified) and more facts...that was the news. Plagiarism was a lot more difficult when the reporter had to have a notebook ready to show to an editor.

—Kay, Alberta, Canada