Monday 25 July 2011

Croaking on the back deck!

See him?
I spent my first 25 years living in Toronto, cottaging from ages 5 - 50 in Muskoka.

hiding in the BBQ cover
There was the odd tree frog, tiny things, really. It wasn't until we moved to Lanark County that I've fallen in love with these guys.

I've told you about Englebert, who lived in the mailbox.

I think the bug situation is iffy these days, and he's taken off, coming back from time to time. After the dear, late Oliver went after him, he was reluctant to live near the front door.


 There are two on the back deck.
Buster spotted him on the deck
then he hopped upwards.


Searched everywhere, but couldn't spot him on the railing!

Delightful little guys. They change colour, chameleon-like, depending upon where they are situated.


I could hear some familiar croaking - for the tree frog song my YouTube video. I looked on the far side of the deck. Looked underneath the deck, fighting the deer flies. And couldn't figure out where tree frog #3 was hanging out!

It took me a day. Finally, I figured out he was croaking behind the thermometer. This one was emerald green. Such a beauty!

On another day, with the temps up to 40 C., he croaked just as Sady walked by. She was curious. Couldn't find him. Sady is still grumpy.

He's behind the thermometer
The males croak to attract the females. Once the females choose a male, the male hops on her back. 

She takes him down to the pond, where she lays her eggs while he fertilizes them. When she is done she croaks, literally not figuratively, and he hops off, back to wait for another female. She doesn't croak at any other time.

Hubby suggested just like a singles bar! A quickie, and back to the bar...

big toe pads
Englebert, on the front mailbox is gray, while this little guy is bright green. They have the ability to use camouflage, and change from gray to green, depending upon the substrate.



giving me the eye - leave me alone, woman!
This yellow characterizes the gray tree frog

5 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Wow, so tiny! And I'm amazed at the colour changes. Very interesting post, Jenn.

—Kay, Alberta, Canada

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful! I haven't played with tree frogs for years. Come to think of it, I haven't heard any for a while either. Hmmm.

Jenn Jilks said...

Aren't they sweet?! Thanks for visiting.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I am terrified of frogs, and hate them with a passion........

Gill

Rusty said...

They are the most interesting little guys, (and gals). Something that no longer exists in our area - no amphibians of any sort to be found, probably due to the proximity of a major airport.

I hope to be moving soon to a place where many of thir ilk still exist - probably to keep us awake with their singing. (Big Grin). ATB!