Saturday 19 March 2011

Deer, chipmunk, Oliver

By day, the sun warms the soul.
We sat outdoors on Friday, in balmy (for us!) temperatures of 10+ C., in the sun. Happily watching for signs of spring. Warmed by the sun, listening to many more birds than I could identify in our 'new' (6 mos. here!) home, I anxiously await for the changes that are to come.

There were 5 robins on the newly uncovered lawn. Deer nibbling my lilac buds, remnants of garden plants, and the lawn.

Oliver has caught 4 red squirrels. As the squirrels have been inauspiciously moved out of their territory, a chipmunk has moved in. Red squirrels are so dominant.

Opportunistic species
 do move in and out of territories. This is why they trap and inoculate raccoons for rabies, rather than simply trapping and moving them. More simply move in.


I was sitting on the bench, happily listening to the birds, when a rabbit came barrelling towards me, full tilt boogie. I screamed like a girl! I was so surprised. I think it was escaping Oliver in the front yard.










Oliver hunkers down by the tree, waiting for his prey.

 Visit more camera critters (#154) here!
Camera Critters

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful critter post. I love all the deer, they are always pleasant sight to see. Great photos.

Snap said...

wonderful critters all! must be great to be around all this wildlife. happy critter day.

Unknown said...

Great sequence. Not quite as spring like here. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Amazing amount of activity! LOL! Spring at your place looks pretty exciting...

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I continue to marvel and what a wonderful choice y'all made when you moved. Such a beautiful spot.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful creatures... here's hoping the sun continues to shine!

Jidhu Jose said...

nice shots

Adrienne Zwart said...

Funny how even a harmless animal can scare the wits out of us when running crazily in our direction like that, isn't it. I enjoyed reading--we are eagerly awaiting spring's arrival here too. A few warm days so far, but mostly it's the sunshine and green that I am longing for.

Dubster said...

You have one of the best entry today, I enjoyed watching that little fella up on the tree

Chubskulit Rose said...

Oh how gorgeous!

My Camera Critter post, have a nice weekend.

Rosie@travel-i-tales said...

That last foto of Oliver is a classic! Love it.
Rosie@travel-i-tales

Roan said...

I keep trying to get a deer shot, but have only seen them far away, or running away. Your shots are amazing.

EG CameraGirl said...

You live in such a great spt for observing wildlife!