Thursday 10 February 2011

Workout fever & channel changers

Yes, I try to workout most days, usually at 10:00. It is a bit of structure for my day, and gives me some discipline. Can't say it's doing much for my waistline, but I can't imagine my size if I *didn't* work out!

Since I don't tape my fave shows anymore, this little TV doesn't have the capability, I channel hop, which is a great distraction. I usually work out in the afternoon on weekends, just for a change, and watch Chick Flicks on W!

I usually click between three shows:
NATE Burkus (Home Designer), MARILYN Denis (CTV, Canadian talk show; fashion, make-up, 'age-defying crap', pop TV US stars, because CTV carries US shows, a few Canadian stars), and ELLEN Degeneres (Comedy, games, talk show, US actors).

I prefer the themed shows, like Nate's. Or his used to be! You know what you are going to get now. Today it was 25 minutes on Dancing with the Stars people. Seriously. YAWN. I was ready for some decorating ideas. CLICK. Change channels.

Oprah has had on a variety of guests. You never knew if it would be Dr. Phil (psychobabble, but great lines), Dr. Oz (medical issues), or just who might be flogging a book or a movie. Since I taped it, I could be choosy. CLICK! Then, once the latter two began their own shows, I was quite disappointed with their attempts to 'jump the shark', some days.

None of these people are sticking to their expertise or their premise.

I learned an elementary drama activity, called Channel Changers, from a colleague. The kids would write a show, based on a few sentences from a variety of programs. It could be quite clever and fun. I think of it as I exercise...

ELLEN:  Opening stand-up routine. Love her humour. Dancing! Good motivation for me. I moved faster, stopped watching my exercise timer. Gotta..., make it to..., 40 minutes!  Commercial. CLICK 
MARILYN: Victoria Secret model - flogging underwear men can buy for their women. Friggan' size 2's. Barf. CLICK
NATE: Women's undergarments. What's with this theme? -grossed him out. If he's not going to talk about it with dignity... CLICK
MARILYN: Clara Hughes & depression. Pretty depressing...been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  CLICK
ELLEN: Crazy photos, or was it videos?! Love it. Commercial.  CLICK
NATE: Jennifer Weiner and parenting.  Talking about being a working mother. Nate doesn't have kids, me neither!  CLICK
MARILYN: Young kids and money.  My kids are on their own; they are adults. They're doing quite well. CLICK
ELLEN: Giving a car to two deserving women. Love it. Commercial. CLICK
NATE: Elizabeth, warm dreams. Delightful 8-yr old whose raises money and/or coats for the poor. Loved her. But when is she just a little girl herself? Commercial. CLICK
MARILYN: Age-defying make-up. I worked hard for these wrinkles. Why's everyone want me to exercise more and look younger? This is as good as it gets. CLICK
NATE: Tech toys. (Can't afford 'em!CLICK
Jess chopped this for me!
MARILYN: 20-something fashion designer. Flogging size 2, juvenile clothes. As if. CLICK
NATE: Amy Sedaris. Flogging her craft book. Loved it. Looking for such a book. (Bought it. Regret it. It's a stand-up routine in a book format with no craft info. Reviewed it, was called an idiot for buying it and hating it!) Commercial  CLICK

ELLEN:  Justin Beiber. Surprises a major 15-year-old fan. Like, whatever, man. CLICK
MARILYN: 15-year old demo-ing new iPhone 4 & Crackberry. Can't afford them or find a good reason to buy one being a retiree, tho' I'd love one! Also, granddaughter uses Skype on it. Has a GPS so you can find it, if lost. (I know someone who could use that app!)  Must not watch... CLICK 
NATE: Do-It-Yourself. Pro-handyman (?) demonstrates DIY doing bathroom tile, badly. Drops a wad of grout on the stage. (Check YouTube's

How To Tile a Bathroom Floor - The Home Depot CrikeyCLICK

MARILYN: Tiffany Pratt - glitter pie art.  I have a degree in ECE, I could do this segment. I know how to set-up a room for kid's doing art. I know how to facilitate art. Especially art that doesn't look all the same. Many sources of info on the web! Cripes.

OH, look! I'm at 40 minutes. Whew. Time to haul in some wood. In the shed, on the sled. Betcha Bambi doesn't work for food!
Food is in the closed shed door. Wood on the lefthand addition. 




There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued. -Thomas Huxley, biologist and writer (1825-1895)

No comments: