Sunday 10 October 2010

A dear mouse tail


I haven't been feeding the birds in a few days. With the noise of guns about, the deer have been scarce.
The blue jays are wicked at the bird feeder. I've put out the feeder that used to stymie them in Muskoka, but these jays seem to attack the feeder and any chickadees who dare to pop by for a sunflower seed or two.

I decided it was time and popped down to the shed.

I heard a noise and froze. A tiny noise, and knew it had to be my mice friends. Opening the deer feed container (a large plastic garbage can, with a hole in the top) I spotted my buddy. It seems as if a pair of them ended up in the can, one died. They couldn't climb up and out of the top. I felt so badly. I think the one ate the other, too, as the deer feed isn't that appetizing... there were a few body parts from another mouse, as well as much moue poo. Who knew?
Grabbing the mouse by the tail, I popped it into the can. A cutie, with big brown eyes. Nature is a dog-eat-dog world.


It was reluctant to leave the apparent safety of my metal bucket, but I convinced it to sit on the fence.



Plugging the hole in the top of the garbage can, I thought, I took off to do some chores.

Bat house defeated Woody Woodpecker!

Not pretty, but no more holes!





Can you see Englebert on his mailbox?
Raccoon beheaded the inukshuk - again!


School bus passes - new 4' pine trees looking good


Chores completed, I realized that I hadn't closed the shed door. Back down I go. You-know-who was back in the deer feed, having squeezed in, was now stuck and eating away at the plastic lid trying to get back out. Silly critters. I thought the chipmunks who prance in front of the cats were the smallest brained critters. Think not.

Humming, ♩♪♫♬ "Please release me. Let me go..." I grabbed it by the tail, and released it again. It ran into the shed...
Visit more Camera Critters.

Camera Critters

2 comments:

Gattina said...

OMG, what a story !

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, Gattina, wee little brains: the 4 F's, you know. I find it lovely caring for the smallest, as well as the large deer. It's a living. Perhaps an avocation!