Saturday 21 November 2009

Muskoka H1N1 vaccination clinics - 3

This is part 3 of a series of posts about Muskoka health care. Specifically, this is the story of our vaccine trek during this H1N1 pandemic.

The announcement came this week:
H1N1 VACCINES OPEN TO ALL SIMCOE MUSKOKA RESIDENTS
North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Unit (NSM LHIN) – Our health unit will be making the H1N1 vaccine available to anyone over the age of six months, beginning last Tuesday. 


The signage was good. Easy to spot the right place. The trick to running a good clinic is finding a place, like the arena, which has large rooms, easily accessible spots, and free parking!


Based on this information we decided that a vaccine was a good way to go. Both of us, as volunteers, owed it to our clients. 


The clinic we attended in Bracebridge ran from 10:00 until 8 p.m., but the run 5 days a week in Muskoka. Having read the news reports, suggesting that the early bird does not get the worm, we went just after lunch. It was a good move. There was a big lineup in the early morning, and people were sent away, after having been given a time to return. This is fine for those who live in Bracebridge, but we do not. There were only a couple of people ahead of us.
A well-run event, the staff wore vests depending upon their role. (The vest DID say, "Health Unit", but my flash put a shine on the 'T'!) The first people we met were wearing a yellow vest. They were careful about screening people already ill. 



 Next this woman directed us to the intake staff with green vests. They took our info, swiped our Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) cards, verified our information, checked to see if we had underlying health conditions or were already ill. I have a tendency to faint when I have a needle and I warned them!  This smiling young lady smiled and sent us off to sit and wait our turn. You can see that they had about 4 people working the computers, and we moved along swiftly.

And you can see how the process has been improved after long lines in the big cities. Our free shots, courtesy of OHIP, were about to happen!


We sat down to wait and read the handouts and, with only one person ahead of us, we moved through the queue. Behind our smiling intake staff was the place where you received a print out showing the time and date of your H1N1 shot. In addition, this is where one sat for 15 minutes after the shot, to ensure that you did not have an immediate reaction. You can see the our timing was perfect. There were only 7 people who had just been poked!


Next, we were directed by another person to our nurse. She checked our data, verified the information, and eventually poked us. 


She was armed with safety disposal containers for the needles, a computer and stickers, but we weren't offered any of the latter! 


You can see the small bottle from which she filled the needle. The needled was ready. And then the deed was done.



We moved from the poking station in the corner, above right in the photo below left, to the 15-minute waiting station were we sat. The woman in the orange vest handed us our form and off we went.


All in all, a well run clinic, with staff who were caring, and happy to serve us. Considering my irrational fear of needles all went well. For further Muskoka information see: the Muskoka Clinic Schedule

9 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Such a smooth operation. Glad you didn't faint.

Lorac said...

Good to hear there wasn't any of the confusion reigning in T.O! As I am allergic to the flu shots I appreciate everyone who is getting them as that presents less chance of there being flu carried around for me to pick up. I did get the shots for s couple of years but had such an adverse reaction my doctor said "No more!". I would , if I could!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Muskoka seems to be doing a much better job than many other communities. I still don't have my shot, and have had several recent bouts with pneumonia and bronchitis. So you didn't faint! Bravo!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: They are saying that flu is for younger people so that are not giving it to older people. That was a thorough look at the process/

Gill - That British Woman said...

After all the hoo ha in Toronto, yours was a breeze. We're not getting the shots. We have never had the regular flu shots, and have no intention of getting the H1N1 shots either.

Gill

Jenn Jilks said...

You are right, Lorac, gotta try to prevent its spread, but mostly its mutation. The more we let this bug float around, the more we risk this.
Glad I didn't bore my readers. It is of a concern in small towns, too!
And, Gaelyn, to be truthful, I woke in the night, my arm sore and DID faint! Hubby brought me water & acetaminophen, and helped me back to bed. I think I had a bad time of it in a previous lifetime! :-)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

People are going crazy here in OK. Long multi hour waits. I'm waiting until the frenzy dies down.

I'm a hoping and a praying that the US can get some sort of universal health care plan going.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm with you, Yogi. It costs so much more to support those who are ill, than to prevent or cure them. Not that our system is perfect, as those without money for transportation or good food have the best of care, but it levels the playing field some. I am glad that my tax dollars go to support those without. Period. I truly believe in The Ethic of Reciprocity.
"Don't criticize the coffee, you'll be old and weak some day!"

Unknown said...

Good to hear it's running smoothly in Muskoka! Proof that it pays to live in the boonies!