Friday 21 August 2009

Storm photos

I thought, since it was Skywatch Friday, I should report on our storm. We had a great storm cross the province last night. A tornado in spots. Powerful winds and horizontal rain. I am glad we have power back on. I know that others have phenomenal footage and still shots. I chose to run around closing windows! The lightning strikes shocked me; I screamed and scared my husband! The was a huge crack just behind the house. One runs to the window hoping not to see damage, and we did not!

I love how the media are accepting viewer/citizen's photos. It gives a better picture of what has happened. Here is the slide show CBC put together. Such incredible amateur photographers out there. Bracebridge was hard hit.

We were relatively unscathed. Nestled amongst the trees, I was down at the lake, putting tools away, as a large cloud moved across. No problem, I thought. It has passed. Up on the deck I watched the wall of water suddenly move behind the islands across the lake. I warned the cat that she ought to come in. Nope. I grabbed the videocam and by the time it turned on the wall of water hit us. The cat made a better choice!
BTW
I would love to find someone to teach me how to take photos of lightning.
After the storm passed, I went out to assess the damage.
My plants weigh bout 50 lbs., tipped over. The mop, nearly dry from floor washing (yes, I have been cleaning, Mom!) soaked! Oh well. Could be worse.
There were branches the diameter of my wrist lying here and there. It just shows how important it is to take cover. The rain horizontal, trees frantically whipped by winds, leaves turned upside down in supplication to Mother Nature to be kind.

Our heavy bench was gob smacked in the shock of the wind.

Upon closer look, I spotted my chair. The Hand of God had tipped, but the spruce's roots held in shallow soil. Branches wrapped like arms around the top of the 6' chair, and prevented it from tipping over. I had to right it. It weighs about 200 lbs! BB bear stares in awe at the damage. (Well, he stares all the time, but I'm sure he was awed!) He did not tip over.


But we heard many, many horror stories. I feel badly for those with major damage.
I love to capture footage of the clouds: Muskoka Storm Approaches , Muskoka Thundershowers , Rainstorm Oct. 14. This one is my favourite, up before dawn and using my antique tripod.

August is the worst month. We had a hurricane pass through August 2, 2006. My poor father was so upset with dementia, living in his retirement home. His TV was off. In the middle of this hurricane he phoned me and said, "The candle in the oven has gone out!" Meantime, the tree branches were horizontal. Rain was pounding us. The brain tumour had grown in the area of expressive language and he could not retrieve nouns. Poor man. Concepts were lost to him, too.

6 comments:

Pat said...

Wow, that sounds like a very frightening storm! Those really loud lightning strikes scare me to death--I've experienced them in Florida and in Ontario, but we almost never have such loud lightning in California.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Oh my - I'm so glad you and yours are okay. It's a little disconcerting how nature can play havoc with our seemingly ordered lives. Strikes home how vulnerable we all are.

Gaelyn said...

Wow, what an amazing storm. Glad you weren't hit too hard. Smart Cat.

The only time I got a lightning shot was when I focused on an area of high activity with the video on. Then cut the one frame it showed up in.

I find the energy from lightning to be exilarating.

Gill - That British Woman said...

It skirted past us and I am in the Alliston area.

You live in a stunning part of the country.

Gill, from down the road!!

Cindy Smith, Editor, Education for the Driving Masses said...

This may sound awful but our townhome needs new shingles. Last night, Chad and I stood on the porch and tried to coax enough fury to tear shingles from our home. We're in Durham Region, near Bomanville. By the time the storm passed us it was a whole lotta nothing but a light show.

Maybe it's because we've moved so many times but we only see our house as shelter. If the roof ripped off I'd find the task of repair and renovation time consuming but I pay so much in home insurance that a claim wouldn't cause me distress. I also need new flooring so a little rain or flooding wouldn't have hurt.

I know. I'm evil.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you, all for your comments.
Cindy, you nutbar - and I say that with affection.

So many people after some traumatic event whine about their homes, when they could be dead. There are very few (and I applaud them when I hear them) who can look at it as only a building, not a life. I moved 5 times in 6 years (something like that!) and we put a new roof on the last two. I only wish it had been insurance!
Compared to those in other countries without the infrastructure, we are blessed. I have photos from the devastation in Gravenhurst. Must go process them!