Sunday 7 December 2008

Not my town - just visiting

giant eraserMy Town Monday has been a lesson for me. I began looking through old photos. We took a weekend trip to Washington, D.C., and Alexandria, back in the days when we were gainfully employed, had near-by cat sitters, and could afford the energy to travel! I resurrected these old photos to travel down memory lane. Plus it is nice to see green grass in photos! We have -15 Celsius (5 F) degree temperatures in Muskoka. Brrrrrr.



The sheer immensity of the Washington, and the age of Alexandria , impressed me. (Nan does it justice here in a novel) but 400 years old...

Our little town was established in the late 1800s, but was part of Native history. (See Raisin Wine -James Bartleman, for a good read on a near-by town of Port Carling! The History of Muskoka is much more recent.)


Since many MTM folks are American, I will not present a history lesson, but simply a tribute to the sights. The full set of photos, including the adorable pandas, and the moving Vietnam Memorial with its sculptures, are here. The Museums are phenomenal. The outdoor art superb.



6 comments:

Junosmom said...

Jill, are all the photos of Washington and Alexandria? I wasn't sure if the middle photos are of your town. I want to make sure that I have the link on MTM correct.

Jenn Jilks said...

They are, indeed, Junosmom. We visited for a w/e a few years ago. Muskoka is just snow and freezing cold these days. I felt it nice to look back in time and temperature!

debra said...

I haven't been to DC in a very long time. Thanks for a look at it. I love the public art.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My brother lives here and I love visiting.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Jenn,

What wonderful photos! D.C. is my second favorite city in the world. New York is first but having been born and raised here and lived here all my life, I am a bit biased. (She says with a grin.)

Thanks for a great post and thanks for the link to Nan over at Women of Mystery (my home blog.)

And never be afraid to give us some history lessons. We can always use a brush up.

Terrie

Nan Higginson said...

Great blogsite. I especially liked: "Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is. -William James, psychologist and philosopher (1842-1910)" - it explains why I can be so confused whenever I get together with one other person. And, I can get lost in my own house, but that's another issue, along with the occasional visitations by a puckish poltergeist or two.

Glad to get a nod for my MTM comments on the DC area - but I can't take credit for the book, written by Krista Davis, entitled: THE DIVA RUNS OUT OF THYME, recently published - her first book! The words that drew you win were Krista's, and I'm the glad "reporter," spreading the news.

You revived my thoughts of D.C. - it calls to me, like a lot of places do. Your photos sent me back to my last visit there. Must return soon!