Sunday 8 June 2008

Glorious day!

Saturday proved to be a wonderful day after a 7:00 a.m. canoe ride, and risking life and limb in the calm lagoon where the bugs dance on the water. The fish must be relishing the buffet of treats. Back out into the main part of the lake, the clouds parted to let the sun's beams shine on our shores.

As I paddled down the lagoon, the soft swish of water keeping rhythm as I made my way, I spotted a female merganser. This handsome lady was taking a break on a dock in the shelter of the lagoon. It is delightful to paddle quietly around the lake and see the wildlife in its natural habitat. The law of nature and environmentalists is to do no harm, to leave the critters be and only shoot with a camera.




On the other side of the lake the heavy rains of the night flowed quickly to refill the lake and drain the land. The calm reflection does not show the bugs that haunted me the minute I put down paddle for camera. I hustled out of this sheltered shoreline. I made it back to our cottage to find our handsome mallard males taking a break on our swimming rock. The flew off as I approached.

I managed to work in the garden without too much damage. I have several bites on the back of my legs. The wind kept down most of the mosquitoes, but those black flies were quite vicious.

The sun was hot and bright, eventually the clouds cleared away, but the 30 ˚ Celsius temperatures in the city did not manifest here. The wind was refreshing. The clouds took off to harass folks in the south and the sun came out to provide energy for our resplendent foliage. I cleaned up our shore and played in the water. It took me an hour to reorganize the shed - the tools of spring and summer needed hanging. The mosquitoes helped a great deal - ensuring that I hurried.

No comments: