Thursday 22 September 2011

Trees - our four sisters

The four sisters
I've been working in the forest. Having a grand time. Trying to create a walking path for us that wends its way through our forest. The cedars have been crowded out by maples, and the dead cedars fall. A tree had to be brought down, one that will surely fall in the next storm. A dead cedar, it isn't good on a walking path! The kittens similarly helped. I chased them away.


This one on lot #3 amazes me

big storm toppled this conifer - such shallow roots

Love these massive pines

Amazing catalpa in Westport

Deadfall, they squish a young catalpa.
I've been trying to dig it out by pruning.
The bees that live under the left root dissuade me.

dark shadows, ancient beasts
Loved this tree, with arms, in Bala, Muskoka.
Losing its head in a storm, it still survived.
They chopped its arms off later, tho

wind storm knocked this over

the willow weeps in Kingston

our forest

my helpers!

cedars in our forest, old, dead branches must be trimmed

red sumac of fall


my girls, 2010

hug a tree, 2010
such a beauty

still working on a walking path


playing on "Oliver's lot"
Always amazed at the size

Amazing how they fall and lean for many years
This is our lot 3.

Tree museum?! Who knew?



I've noticed a couple of interesting tree sites of tree museums and tree tours!

London, Ontario, tree trunk tour!

Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement
signed in 2010, which led to a moratorium on logging of nearly 29 million hectares of woodland caribou habitat. 

13 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You have some big trees! Good for you clearing out a walking path through all that. Good exercise if you don't overdo it.

Deb said...

It always amazes me how some trees grow in the most unusual conditions.

Gill - That British Woman said...

how many acres do you have now?

Gill

The Retired One said...

LOve this tree post....you know me...never met a tree or stump photo I didn't like.LOL

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautiful photos, Jenn. I love the cats "helping"!
The tree museum made me think of the song about "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot". The idea of a tree museum then was laughable. Not any more.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Joe Todd said...

Neat post. I am a tree lover

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh how wonderful to have a forest in your backyard!

Cloudia said...

Nice nature,
nice kids,
nice POST!


=^.^=

Warm Aloha from Waikiki;

Comfort Spiral


> < } } ( ° >
=^.^=

Jenn Jilks said...

It is a wonderful place, thank you all. We traded a Muskoka lake-side cottage for 16 acres of bush, wetland and beautiful trees.

Kay said...

We do miss the big trees! This was such a fun post to see. I love that tree chair, too. I can't wait to get back to visiting everyone after my life settles down.

W.C.Camp said...

Yeah we will get some straight line winds at times and it can wreak havoc on shallow rooted trees. I love that picture of the trees alternating and falling in a 'V' pattern on your property. Very interesting. W.C.C.

cheryl said...

Awesome photos Jenn, have you seen the maple on Beckwith between Craig and Brock Streets? O she's an ole beauty. May your path amongst the grove lead you into wonderous sightings :)

Judy said...

I don't think I have ever seen a catalpa tree that big around! During the big ice storm 12 years ago, the catalpas were just about the only trees that did not suffer damage...