Friday 15 July 2011

I've got wheels!

I used to pitch!

Yes, after jogging beginning at age 15 or so, then pulling a muscle in my calf while playing softball, I no longer can run. That was fine. I gave up softball.

tenosynovitis
hubby brought a tray!
When I was working, I'd go to the gym. Hanging out with the svelt young things in spandex was daunting, lining up for a machine; we created our own basement gym. I could work out at my leisure and pleasure.

And I did work out. I lift 12 lbs. handweights, after putting my back out and getting physio for it. It increases my ability to keep up mobility, and makes gardening a breeze.

Some enterprising person invented the elliptical, which gave me the freedom to work up a sweat, without further damaging myself. After all, we need our legs for a long time. Many of my clients are in wheelchairs, trying to move them with their good arm. many have had a stroke, and this renders one arm and leg useless.
9.49 km to Murphy's Point Park,
22.6 km (14 miles) today.

Hurray for the camera timer!

Now, as I see with my senior clients, adapting to the aging process is a trick. Many refuse to use their walkers, and have debilitating falls. Estimates: 20 % of seniors die within the first year after a hip fracture. Read more here. I question whether it is the hip fracture, or unchanged behaviour, but I digress.

There is a fine line between sitting in a wheelchair all day, and using a walker to keep your balance. My late father loathed both. He had many falls. We couldn't prevent them as long as he refused the walker.




geese in the lake

Lately, the elliptical has given me issues. I did something to my foot, tenosynovitis, inflammation to the sheathing around the tendon. I did not rest it, even with ER physician advice and am I sorry! I had a palliative client, left alone for long hours of the day, and I did not have a chair upon which to sit in his small retirement home room. I paid for it.

My therapy was gardening, and I overdid it to ease the images of this WW II fighter pilot turned in on himself, in the fetal position, in pain and emotional agony.



I got up on hubby's stationary bike, and even that hurt my foot if I didn't take it easy.

Ice, physiotherapy, rest, TLC from hubby, and moderation, and I've managed to get up and out again.

With great joy and a sense of freedom, I've gone out on the bike twice now. It was wonderful. I've got wheels again! I decided to change it up, be determined, and get out bike riding again. There is a great shoulder on the highway near us.

boat launch
As I rode along, I stopped seeing a doe by the side of the road. I tried to haul out my camera from my backpack, but too late. I slowed the truck coming up behind me, as her fawn tenuously crept out of the bush behind her and raced across the road.

[Back out today, I spotted a doe again! The deerflies were awful, and I felt sorry for her.]

Next, a man, likely with 10 years on me, passed me at great speed on his road bike, while I ambled along, sailing down the hills, and labouring up them.

No matter.

I am not competing with anyone, just getting out and about on these glorious summer days. After a career of teaching, raising kids, spending after hours marking papers, planning curriculum, then rushing to the gym to work out, it seems decadent to take a morning for myself.  I have to get past this, and take the time for me.

osprey near Grouse Lane!



Long Lake Rd.
They were having a great day. Spotted the day after, too!

5 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Yes, it's good to take time for yourself. :)

Latane Barton said...

Oh, my goodness. What a problem you have had. I am glad you are able now to bike.

I remember pushing Elbert in his wheelchair and wishing I'd been more diligent in my 'working' out.

W.C.Camp said...

Hope you are feeling good. Nice story and made me want to get my bike out and go for ride. I don't think I am ready to go for a run especially in a kilt though?? W.C.C.

Kay L. Davies said...

Taking care of one's self is absolutely essential. When I was working, I was a workaholic, and it did me more harm than good.
When my young brother stopped being athletic and became a workaholic instead, I warned him, "You don't want to end up like me" and, fortunately, he listened to me.
I can sure empathize with your aches and pains. I've just recently been seeing a second doctor who has some suggestions about how I can get some energy back, and I'm very excited. If it restores my balance and I can ride a bicycle again, I'll be thrilled.

—Kay, Alberta, Canada

Kay said...

You're great to keep moving your body. I'm guilty of not exercising enough and I need to get going because I'm no longer able to take Fosamax.